Thursday, June 12, 2008

Huh huh huh huh huh

Reading this remembrance of one guy's musical education via an animated television show was a blast from the not-that-long-ago-was-it past. The bands, many of whose CDs were long ago relegated to the cutout bins and college radio station trash cans (or used record stores' 99-cents stacks), sounded familiar even if I'd be hard-pressed to identify any of their songs by ear or by name. It made me want to dig through the box of still-unpacked CDs from my college radio station days that didn't earn places in my proper collection.

Perhaps more enjoyable, though, was wallowing in the humor from that once controversial program, Beavis and Butt-head. Considering the earnest image I feel I project, it may come as a surprise to say that I loved the show. Never mind that Beavis and Butt-head is sharper than its detractors credit it for being. (In its own way, it is a decent approximation of music criticism.) I appreciated it for all the dumb, vulgar, puerile comedy too.

I haven't seen the show in years, but I was cracking up reading the quotations commenters were appending to the article. Then I went to YouTube to track down some clips. There aren't many available, and thosepresent are wanting in the A/V quality department. Still side-splitting stuff, though.

Unfortunately clips with the boys providing commentary on music videos are rare. These were the best parts of Beavis and Butt-head, but licensing issues have kept most of them unreleased on commercially sold tapes and DVDs. I laughed myself silly watching their takes on MC 900 Ft. Jesus and Letters to Cleo. These artists, blips on the popular music scene in their time, and the show may not be in the public consciousness much (or at all) these days, but what a fine time it was to enjoy lunkheaded chuckles with these animated suburban headbangers then and now.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

We actually talked about that show in my lit class last semester--go figure. (I have a teacher who gracefully--or at least interestingly--blends pop culture with 18th century lit. Fun!) She pointed out that finding the clips with the actual music videos was worth hunting down because of the "framing" effect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home