Monday, May 12, 2008

The undoing

My method for unknitting errors has been to work right to left. In other words, the needle where I've created the new stitches stays still in my right hand while the needle in my left hand goes about the business of undoing everything back to the mistake. The technique has worked all right, but the byproduct is tough-to-knit stitches until I make it past all of the undone ones.

For whatever reason last night I decided to mix things up when I discovered an error some fifty stitches earlier in the row of the moss grid hand towel. I turned the work around and undid the stitches left to right. Then I returned the knitting back to the proper side and knitted as usual.

The difference was remarkable. The undone stitches could be knitted without any resistance. I had no problems getting the needle into them, which has been the result of unknitting stitches the way I've done it since I learned. Have I been doing it incorrectly all this time and just now seen the light?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

I bet you've been putting your left needle (the one undoing the stitch) into the stitch from back to front. That will produce an unknit stitch that is seated the wrong way on the needle. When you turned it around and unknit the same way, you got a stitch seated the right way -- which makes it easy to knit.

If you unknit by putting your left needle in from the front, you'll get a stitch that's seated the right way, whether you are tinking a knit or a purl stitch. Took me a while to figure that out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home