Monday, April 28, 2008

Random lessons

Things learned and relearned in recent days

-On the rare day that I'm sick, perhaps taking a day off work wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

It wasn't until I felt better that I realized how sick I was for a few days last week. Admittedly, I wanted to go in because I was going to be out at the end of the week, but I can't help but believe that I did myself no favors in dragging myself there.

-There are no worse advertisements than those on AM radio.

It's not just the crap that gets advertised but also the form of the sales pitches. Whether it's mind-numbing repetition or inane "conversation" about the product, these ads are as annoying as they get.

-Don't talk politics.

At the beginning of film festival days there is a lot of time spent waiting in line to enter the theater. Inevitably conversations are struck up because everyone is bored. I was speaking with a woman behind me in line, and the subject somehow got around to the Presidential election. We shared support for a candidate and many similar views regarding the nonsense that is distracting from the important stuff. After fifteen minutes or so, the guy in front of us turned around and started blasting this candidate and people like us who would support such a person. I was really taken aback by this hostility.

I make it a point not to bring up politics because anymore it's such a contentious and futile exercise that it isn't worth the grief. (In this instance, the aggrieved party wasn't even in the conversation.) Plus, I don't feel smart or aggressive enough to parry those whose verbal thrusts are all party line talking points laced with venom. I can't help but believe that the inability for those who disagree to listen to the other side is a large part of the problem with the political dialogue in this country.

-Driving while tired is one of the worst feelings in the world.

I had around three hours of driving ahead of me yesterday when I started feeling really tired. I knew I needed to pull over and take a break, if just to regain more focus, although I had to wait several minutes until I could find a place to stop. In the meantime, that struggle to keep my eyes open and drive the car was really unpleasant. A rest stop revived me a little, and a coffee a few exits later artificially boosted me for the remainder. Still, those moments when I could feel myself flagging were no fun at all.

-There's no place like home.

I'm realizing that this list is heavy on "worsts", so I'll end on a high note. I enjoyed my time away and was treated generously by some people I've come to know at the festival over the years. Nevertheless, I'm happy to be home again. Everyone needs a base, a place to feel comfortable and to recharge. It's time for me to do that once again.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home