Saturday, May 26, 2007

This is my now

Pardon the header referencing the American Idol songwriting competition winner. It seemed like the right sentiment.

Moving day was quite the experience. There was a major headache with the rental truck, a fortuitous break with the cable company, and the distinct feeling of being overwhelmed. I am going to be unpacking boxes for months.

I still have a few things at my former apartment--I claim it no more--but I'll deal with them on Sunday. My landlord is going to help me take out the old couch to put by the curb for garbage collection. I'll give the living room floor a sweep and try scrubbing the tub again, and then I should officially have no more connection to the place.

I would write more, but I'm typing this from work. My internet service was working at home, but I unplugged some things to get everything set up how I want it. Now I can't get a connection. I'll work on it when I get home, but rather than risk not being able to post today, I decided to pop in here and slap up something.

I'll have a fuller report tomorrow. Furor at the rental truck agency! The mystery of where everything is! The excessively early cable man! For the hundredth time, no, I don't want that dresser!

For now it's time for me to take some more things out of the car and into the apartment. Then I can kick back and relax...for a few hours.

4 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Congratulations, Mark, for taking positive steps to get out of that situation. While no living situation is perfect, I'm really impressed with your initiative. Action is healing and healthy. I hate moving more than anything else in the world and will go to almost any length to avoid it, so I'm feeling for you with the hard work you've put in for the past three days. Can't wait to see the first FO knit on the new futon. :)

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Welcome home!

Now, can I have your boxes? I found out Friday I'm moving schools. :-/

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I hate moving, which is what kept me there longer than I should have been. It hasn't been easy, but I can see how much better it will be for me. The support here (and in the offline world) has been helpful.

Karen, you mean the school won't provide boxes and do your moving for you? :)

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Mark, I'm a counselor. I have a bunch of confidential info! Not to mention 14 yrs of accumulated crap in my office.

I knew those words would come back to bite me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home