Monday, April 21, 2008

A small victory

OK, so I have a tendency to overreact or make things more difficult when there's something I don't understand. Multiply that by last night's pounding headache from whatever illness I have. My stupidity and lack of patience were in full bloom.

I feel pretty lousy still today, but thanks to Amanda I got an explanation that got me over the hump. Where I was tripping myself up was in not comprehending how putting the yarn in one place or another while slipping a stitch made a difference.

It's the simplest things, which often don't have explanations, that seem to confuse me. The more complicated stuff is usually laid out in painstaking detail whereas yarn forward and yarn back didn't require any more information. Now that it clicks, of course I see that this is about as easy as it gets.

It helped to have a finished ballband dishcloth on hand. I didn't understand how it was made, but I could examine it to try and figure out the idea at work. Until now I haven't worked with two colors at the same time--I admit that it intimidates me--so this small victory feels like a gigantic step forward.

I didn't choose the colors to match the pattern in the book; they're what I had on hand when I decided to tackle this challenge. I look forward to picking up yarns in other color combinations and, umm, impressing myself. I think I've found the right project for knitting while at the film festival in the coming days.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

Yay! I sure do like being helpful.

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

i knew you'd figure it out and probably could've written the first part of this post for you ;)
so glad it clicked...it's a fun pattern and i knew you'd love it once it did.
fyi - variegated yarn w/ a solid works awesome for this one! look out yarn stash...this pattern caused my cotton supply to just about triple overnight ;)

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

It looks great, I love the colour combination.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Karen said...

It looks great! Way to go.

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to make this but have yet to try for the same reasons as you. I overreact as well so I'm glad you did this before me! Ha! Now I can look back at all this when I decide to tackle it.

It looks awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home