Friday, February 22, 2008

A day in the life

I'd hoped to have something to write about tonight, but here it is near the end of the day with nothing in the tank or electronic inkwell. My eyes droop while I try to watch TV, which has just been a way of relaxing without engaging my mind. What do I write about? Ugh, am I at that point again of needing to fill space but having zilch to say?

I hesitate to do a rundown of the day because, honestly, who cares? But the deadline beckons, and such an idea is all I can salvage at this point.

I saw films at 10 a.m. and 1:10 and 3:15 p.m. There was time for knitting between the first and second movies. I started a project with the yarn I purchased at this LYS the previous week. With the icy roads and cold, wet weather, the store was not a hopping place, but that was just fine with me. A little peace and quiet plus knitting time was good to get.

I had about a half hour between the second and third films, which were at the same location. I considered knitting there, but I couldn't determine if I'd twisted the stitches when joining the cast on row in the round. I was the only person in the theater at the time, so I examined it to see if I could tell what was going on. I heard the whoosh of the door opening to the auditorium, followed shortly thereafter by a couple of loud voices, and decided to put away my project.

I should have left at that point, and not just because the film irritated me to no end. The couple that came in were talking loudly before the film started. She went back to the concession stand at one point while he paced the length of the aisle over and over as if he was looking for something. With as many movies as I've attended, I can spot problematic audience members a mile away. My radar was chirping when they first set foot in the theater, and here was early confirmation. I had no idea what I was in for.

I think he went to the concession stand after she returned with four cups of something. He got back in time for the trailers, which they proceeded to talk through, and not in their inside voices. Shortly into the movie I heard the woman say, "I'm going to take my shoes off." (Actually, this is not the first time I've experienced an audience member removing their footwear and putting their bare feet on other seats.) They continued to talk at a pretty regular basis through the film, something they might have done because there weren't many people there but which I expect they would have done if the place was packed.

I was starting to get a headache and smelled something that reeked of cigarettes. When I heard the tapping of a pack, I realized that indeed they were smoking in the theater. That hasn't been legal in ages, and it's not like I was in some dump where anything goes. This was unbelievable.

The movie ended, I entered rush hour traffic in the freezing rain, and then I banged out one review from the day's viewing. Read an e-mail that was bad news because it means more work that I don't have time for this week. I watched a little TV and surfed the internet. There you have it.

Saturday brings two more films and working two basketball games. So that should cover the start of the day until about 9:30 p.m. You would expect that Sunday means a lazy day at home and watching the Oscars, but I probably ought to write a couple more reviews. That evening I have a ticket to see St. Vincent in concert. (When I bought the ticket it didn't occur to me that the Academy Awards are the same night, although what's the difference in watching them on the DVR afterwards?) And then things really get crazy...


Labels: , ,


At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Ruth said...

Sounds like the audience from hell!

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Donna B. said...

Smoking in the theater ... sigh indeed. I think it's probably been a couple of years, but I can vividly remember the last time I encountered such audacity. At moments like that, it's good to have a companion with whom to share the "WTF?!" look.


Post a Comment

<< Home