Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day

Oh, Valentine's Day...the day when being single and unattached is felt a bit more deeply. There are 364 other days out of the year to feel self-pity--365 this year!--to let this one be more bothersome than the rest, but you know you're in bad shape when the most you have to show for the holiday is this:

At least the movie studio kept me in mind, although I think I'd rather not get a card with Larry the Cable Guy holding a rose in his mouth.

It's such a normal state of being that Valentine's Day isn't all that different from any other day, except that working at a college means being surrounded by two types of people (students, mainly): the lovey-doveys and bitter, bitter singles. And they can't stop talking about it. And they inevitably turn to the administrator and wonder aloud what the deal is with me. This can necessitate all manner of expert dodging. I know I'm pathetic, but it's certainly not my place to confirm for them that women aren't knocking down my door.

Anyway, I had plans for tonight. Vertigo, one of my favorite films, was screening in a 70mm print, so I wasn't going to sit at home and mope (not that I would have been doing that if I'd stayed home). I was feeling tired, but the film has a dream-like quality, so maybe my weariness enhanced it.

Immediately after the film I went next door to see Vampire Weekend in concert. (I don't think it's a particularly good band name but whatever.) They've been the buzz of the music blogs for awhile, and the backlash has already started despite their debut album coming out just two weeks ago.

Their press clippings have been pretty favorable to this point, so I'm not going out on a limb with the prediction in the next sentence. I've enjoyed the record, but seeing them live gave me a greater appreciation for the album and the gut instinct that they're destined to be big. Whenever they return, I doubt they'll be playing to a crowd as small as the 500 (if that) at tonight's sold out show.

My camera isn't fast enough to grab performance shots without the flash (or with it, for that matter), but the smeary, pinhole camera-like effect is kind of cool.

The concert had been pretty good, but they won me over completely when they played "M79". With just a single record (and a short one at that) to their credit, I expected it would be a short concert. They played every song in their repertoire in the 45-50 minute set, including the non-album track "Ladies of Cambridge" and a new, untitled song, and it was plenty satisfying.

Would the day have been better if circumstances were different? Perhaps. But they weren't, so all in all I feel like I made the best of it. Really, that's the one thing any of us can do.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite a good day all things considered. Personally I think VD is an artificial construction anyway.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being single myself and tired of the constant coupledom push of the media and society in general, I took a different tack this year.

I bought cards for family and friends and told them I loved them. I ignored all the rest.

It's the first Valentine's Day in a while that I didn't feel any bitterness or depression.

Whatever it takes, you know? Sounds as though the students were more of a downer than anything else. Their lives are so dramatic.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Valentine's Day is a hallmark holiday. It's all commercial, and annoys me, even with having someone to celebrate with.

Making the best of it is the best way to go. Keep looking forward, Mark. The right person will walk right into your life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home