Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A dark side of the moon

Did you see tonight's lunar eclipse? I know you can't tell from this photo, but the moon was shadowed. It was clear enough that I got a good look at it. By the time I got home it was almost entirely darkened. Pretty neat. The last time I remember one of these was fifteen years ago, but maybe there's been a lunar eclipse since then. I'm too lazy to look it up.

When is the next solar eclipse? I remember one when I was in third or fourth grade. I think recess may have been canceled that day. The blinds were lowered and closed to prevent students from looking out the windows at it and being blinded. I recall another solar eclipse that occurred when I was in college. The light had an unusual quality, and I want to say I saw little half circles on the ground during the phenomenon.

Astronomy is a fascinating subject. I took a class on it as part of my liberal arts education. It may have been the most difficult course in my college career, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's mind-boggling stuff, but it can be awe-inspiring too.

If you're like me, it can be easy to lose sight of all the astonishing things around us. Seeing the lunar eclipse was a nice reminder.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No eclipse here, but thanks for the reminder to look for the astonishing. Hope all is well in your part of the world.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

This eclipse was so cool! When it was fully shadowed the moon looked like a marble up there - suspended in black. It was kind of creepy! I'm glad I took the time to go out and look up!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

I went outside and saw it, too! Thanks for sharing the pic - none of mine came out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home