Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Old/new

Arkansas Dishcloth

Yarn: Lily The Original Sugar'n Cream (100% cotton; worsted weight)
Color: Red
Needles: US 7s
Stitches: 38

I was tired of seeing this WIP sitting first on my Ravelry project page. So, just like that, done and done.

At first it was weird knitting the dishcloth. I haven't used straight needles since finishing my scarf for International Scarf Exchange 5 a month ago. Adjusting didn't take long. Two hours or so later I had an FO. I did something funky--read: wrong--in a couple of the final rows but didn't notice until I was done weaving in the ends. Repeat after me. It's just a dishcloth. It doesn't need to be perfect.

As fast as I've been able to knit hats, it was nice to have (relative) instant gratification with the dishcloth. I had knit only ten rows when this project went on hiatus in September. I cranked out the rest of the dishcloth in about two hours tonight. I've never considered myself to be that fast of a knitter, just one who plugs away at something with patience and dedication. Maybe it's time to reassess my knitterly speed.

I should probably pick up the needles and knit away my anxiety. The "service engine soon" light began glaring from my dashboard tonight. My car has been very reliable in the three and a half years I've owned it. That doesn't mean I'm ready to make up for lost time regarding auto repair expenses.

I am clueless about car stuff, but my gut tells me it's one of two things. It's possible that the light kicks on around the mileage I've racked up on the odometer. After googling I'm of the opinion that my catalytic converter may be kaput. When I had my muffler replaced I was told that the catalytic converter wasn't long for this world. He couldn't give me an estimate for when it would conk out, but it stands to reason that this part is what triggered the light. Fingers crossed that it's only this couple hundred dollars repair.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:40 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

Lovely finished object, a quick knit is great for instant gratification. Here's hoping your car repair won't cost too much, we don't want to divert money from yarn purchasing ;)

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

It's almost certainly a part of of the emissions system (like the catalytic converter). Those lights go on when the sensors read a problem with the exhaust. I wouldn't worry!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Good luck with the car repair, Mark. Get it checked sooner, rather than later.

Your FO's, all of them, are wonderful. I'm loving your hats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home