Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Self-declared snow day

The first snow of the season fell overnight and through the morning. It created quite a mess, or so I heard. I trudged out to clear off my car so I could get to a morning screening. It wasn't going to be fun as I'd forgotten my gloves and hat at the office. I slipped on the hat I finished last night to keep from freezing my head and reluctantly plunged my hands into the accumulated powder on the car. I broke my big ice scraper last winter and hadn't been able to find a replacement because the stores weren't carrying them toward the end of the season. All I had was a little scraper without a brush.

As I was in the process of numbing my fingers, another resident in the complex told me that I might as well stay home. He had tried to get to work but had turned around due to the backed up highway. If traffic was at a standstill on that interstate, chances were I wouldn't make it to the theater in time. Although I want to see Margot at the Wedding on film, I have a DVD awards screener, so it's not like it was essential for me to risk an accident or a late arrival.

I declared it an unofficial snow day and camped out at home. I did what work I could from my place, watched a few first season episodes of 30 Rock, and cast on for another seaman's cap. I had committed to keeping stats for the women's basketball game in the evening. By the time I ventured onto the roadways, everything was clear.

In the afternoon I braved the cold to snap a couple pictures of the hat. Here you see the design the decrease makes on the crown. It isn't anything elaborate, but I like that it adds a little something special.

You'll likely never see me sans glasses again. This was strictly for modeling purposes. I'm only using the photo on display because it turned out better than those in which I was wearing glasses. These self-photos aren't easy to take.

I like that this hat doesn't mess up my hair as much as others I've made. No, it's not a vanity thing--well, not entirely--but a consideration I make because I'd rather not go around all day looking unkempt.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 3:44 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

Love the decreases! I never take my glasses off either :)

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Karen said...

What a great looking hat, Mark! And I'm blind without my glasses.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

the hat looks great and i love the pic of you...although i like your glasses, too, so i guess it's just nice to see pics of who we read about once in a while :)

looks like you got more snow than us...there's some on the ground and people were shoveling, but it's not too bad. trying not to be too anti-winter this year, but so far it's not working lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home