Thursday, December 06, 2007

Meme for the holidays

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?

Wrapping paper. It's pretty lame that I had to do a web search to learn how to wrap gifts, but I think I can do it somewhat competently now.

2. Real tree or artificial?

My family always had an artificial tree.

3. When do you put up the tree?

I've never put one up while living on my own.

4. When do you take the tree down?

What does not go up does not need to come down.

5. Do you like eggnog?

I've never had it. The name sounds gross, mainly because of the "egg" part.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?

Nothing in particular stands out. Maybe something Star Wars-related. I was excited to get a CD player when I was in high school, but is that too old for this question?

7. Do you have a nativity scene?

My parents have one. I think we've already covered the fact that I've never put up any decorations.

8. Hardest person to buy for?

I imagine I can be since I have difficulty making a list, but that's not sticking to the spirit of the question. If I think about the people I'm buying for, I usually don't have that much trouble.

9. Easiest person to buy for?

I'll have to say my dad. I've usually purchased tickets to a sporting event. He's probably the hardest to buy for because who knows what he wants and easiest to buy for because the tickets have been a sure thing.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?

Again, nothing really jumps out at me. There have been clothes I didn't like and felt ashamed for not wearing or not liking. A chocolate-colored short sleeve shirt comes to mind. I'd probably wear that now.

11. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?

I appreciate that we're all busy, especially at this time of year, but mailed Christmas cards trump their e-mail counterparts. It isn't close, even if no more effort than signing one's name is taken. E-cards are better than nothing, though.

12. Favorite Christmas movie?

I'm embarrassed to say that I am not well versed in Christmas movies, although I've probably seen every bad one released in theaters over the past decade. I hadn't seen It's a Wonderful Life until a few years ago, and even that was viewed out of obligation. I enjoy Elf quite a bit.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?

It just sort of happens. Let's say the beginning of December. For knitted gifts I've started in October.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?

Nope, can't say that I have.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

Cookies, chocolates, it's all good. Might as well add peppermint ice cream, a Christmas Eve staple, to the mix too.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?

Colored, without a doubt. It might be nice to get a few strings of lights to put around my place. I've always liked the atmosphere in homes with the Christmas lights on indoors and the rest of the lights out.

17. Favorite Christmas song?

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". It feels like a song for the end of the year, when you feel like slowing down from the hustle and bustle. What does this say about me, though, since this song made The AV Club's list of morally dubious holiday entertainments?

18. Travel for Christmas or stay home?

Travel. I'm kind of dreading the longer than usual drive this year and the fact that I'm probably going to be strongly encouraged to go out of my way to pick up and bring back an elderly relative.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?

Sure. If you know the words to "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", this is a no-brainer.

20. Angel on the treetop or star?

You know, I can't remember what my family used. My impulse is to say that an angel was atop the tree.

21. Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning?

We've always opened presents on Christmas morning.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?

The commercialized aspect of the season bothers me. News reports would have you believe that you're not performing your civic duty to spur the economy by going hog-wild in the nation's stores. With every fiber of my being I loathe the diamond commercials on television. They make me feel guilty, and I don't even have someone to feel guilty about not buying the sparkly rocks for.

23. What I love most about Christmas...

Ideally, I love being able to take a few days free of the daily demands and obligations and relax. I also love being able to make others happy.

24. What's your favorite Christmas memory?

Every year my grandmother would take each of us to lunch and to go shopping so she would get an idea of what we wanted.

25. Believe or not?

Santa? Yeah, I think the spirit of selflessness and giving is revealed more at this time of the year than at any other.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks for playing along and happy holidays, Mark!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home