Saturday, December 08, 2007

On ice

There will be no more knitting at the hockey games. It's not worth the hassle.

No, I didn't have a bad experience with anyone observing me knitting in public. It renders me invisible, so the non-reactions of others isn't the issue. Security is the problem.

I'm beginning to wonder how the arena became the first place I knitted in public on my own. It seems like they're cracking down on what can pass through the doors. Earlier this season I was told that backpacks are not permitted into the venue. Since they look through all bags and purses, I'm not sure why backpacks are forbidden. Arbitrary and seemingly nonsensical rules are just part of security, and there's no use fighting it. Now that my messenger bag is fixed, I thought I'd slide through unscathed at the next game. I've brought it before and not had anyone check it all.

Tonight's game was part of the ticket package I bought a few months ago, so I didn't need to go down early to line up for a cheap seat. Still, I felt like grabbing a quick bite at North Market and doing some knitting before the game. I was happily working on my dad's hat when I was informed that the market was locking up. Seemed a little earlier than I thought they closed but no big deal. Since I'd spend extra time waiting in the arena, I figured I'd take the knitting with me rather than return the bag to the car.

At the arena I went through the routine with security of opening up my coat and thought I was good to go. Then the security guard wanted to know what was in my coat pocket. Gloves. He wanted to see. Fine. Here they are. He asked me to open the bag. What's inside here? A planner, my knitting.

Get this. He extracted the planner and wanted me to show him what it was. Weirdly, this isn't the first time the planner has been called into question. Prior to a promo screening of Enchanted the security guards wanted me to unzip the case and show it to them. It's no different than what thousands of others use, so I don't know why it falls under scrutiny. Maybe it's how heavy it is?

What's stranger is that he patted the bag down and made no mention of the digital camera or iPod, both of which are permitted but more likely to feel like questionable objects, in my opinion. He didn't see the circs or feel their pointy ends, or so I'm guessing.

I was allowed to enter. The amusing thing in this rigamarole is the security guard overlooked the regular-sized pair of scissors in a case in the bag. If this were really about searching for weapons, which I'm fairly sure it wasn't, I would have understood an objection to the scissors. I expect that the shakedown is primarily about keeping outside food and drinks--OK, alcohol--from getting inside.

I knitted in my seat for about twenty minutes, so it was worth the inconvenience this time. I don't feel like putting up with it any more, though. If I bring my knitting with me to the arena district in the future, I'll deposit the bag in my car before heading to the game.

I should finish the hat before going to bed tonight. That's one more knitted Christmas gift that can be checked off. Speaking of gifts, I'm being pestered for a Christmas list. As usual, I'm drawing a blank. My mom even asked if there were any knitting things I wanted and put books, specifically Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book, as a possibility. I'm unfamiliar with the book and can't think of any knitting supplies. Any thoughts?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:03 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

A good stitch dictionary never goes astray. Do you have a good book on technique? I've got a few. I've also found the Yarn Harlot's 'Knitting Rules' invaluable for working out gauge problems and basic recipes for socks and hats so you can customise them for your recipients.

You could always ask for yarn from an indie yarn dyer...

Hope that helps.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Bummer about what a pain it is for you to take your knitting to the games. Speaking of...did we win?


I second the stitch dictionary...I have a 365 Day Calendar that has a different stitch for every day and it's come in handy several times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home