Saturday, November 03, 2007

Respite

Whether it's been a matter of available time or endurance, I haven't been knitting as much as I would like. Maybe that's part of knitting with patterns. I have to think about it enough that I'm not able to maximize the time or it wears me out quicker. I've been working a lot too, and the drain of ongoing issues there have contributed to my perceived lack of productivity. Whatever the reason, I've been mildly concerned that the Ruggles Reversible Scarf I'm knitting for my International Scarf Exchange 5 pal was going to take a big bite out of my Christmas gift knitting.

I can put that small fear to rest after today. I've knitted. A lot. My Saturday has been composed mostly of alternating knitting while digging through the DVR backlog and going online. Such heavy lifting also called for a wonderful afternoon nap. I'm feeling a lot better. Recently I've been having more headaches than is the norm--I don't get them regularly--and I lay the blame on how tight my back and shoulders have been. I can tell myself not be so tense. If only it were that easy.

Knitting goes a long way toward relieving that stress. It's amazing what kind of focus I can get. I've even absorbed the pattern to the point where I don't feel as though I must keep referring to it. Sometimes I get in the zone too deeply and forget which row I'm on--four sets of rows are the same within the ten in the repeat--but amazingly I've continued where I should. I will give myself a little credit for reading the knitting, but there have been some lucky guesses too.

Since I'd been burrowed into my apartment for most of the day, I ventured out to TehKu Tea Company. The owner dropped off some tea the other night when I was knitting at a LYS. I thought tonight would be a good time to check it out. I could always use another place for knitting in public.

The shop offers 65 varieties of tea, all produced locally. That is way too many choices, but the owner helped me winnow the options. I ended up ordering the Key Largo blend, a Rooibos tea with marigold petals, orange peels, papaya, mango, and peach bits contributing to the flavor. As you might imagine, it was like drinking flowers and fruit. The tea was refreshing and relaxing. (I opted for a tea without caffeine.)

The place wasn't packed, which might be why I got some questions about my knitting from customers and employees. I was happy to talk about what I'm doing and show off the scarf. The pattern, color, and drape have come together better than I could have anticipated.

It never fails to surprise me how people will ask me about knitting and wish that they could do it while expressing their doubt in their ability to pick it up. I think that the only things separating them from me is patience and determination. I'm willing to put in the time to learn and do it. There's no secret.

Anyway, this was the kind of day I've needed: slow, relaxing, and entirely on my terms. The last two months of the year are sure to be like running on a treadmill stuck on its fastest speed, but hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in a few days like this before 2007 comes to a close.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come you can get nicer blends of Rooibos tea there than I can get in it's country of origin?

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Karen said...

What a wonderful afternoon! Good tea, pleasant experiences. Sometimes we have to MAKE these days happen.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

The tea place sounds great! I am a huge fan of tea and am making a mental note to see if I can find somewhere like that in my neck of the woods. ps-I Have never been this far behind in reading your blog. Glad I have a long weekend coming up so hopefully I can catch up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home