Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Knit night

The fates conspired against me to finish the hat today. Lunchtime interruptions thwarted my knitting behind my closed office door. A pal instant messaged me. I was perfectly happy to chat, so that's a knitting discontinuation I don't mind at all. One of my brothers called me, which happens almost never, especially at work. He wanted to talk about my holiday flight options when he could have replied to my simple e-mailed question. (Getting a straight answer out of my family members can be quite a chore.) Before I knew it, lunch was over, and I needed to advise a student about her future.

Almost as soon as I got home from work I sat down to finish the first skein of yarn for the hat. I figured I could knit one more round before needing to join another. Midway through the round I was having a little trouble moving the stitches around on the needle. I then proceeded to pull several stitches off the needle on accident. I thought that I salvaged most of them--not the best assumption when working in the dark with black yarn--and took out a crochet hook to deal with the others. I managed to undo the damage except for two stitches. Defeated, I decided that I would suck up my pride and and let my request for help be my introduction at knit night.

Yes, this secret knitter went to a knit night at a LYS. It had been mentioned in a discussion thread on a local Ravelry group's forum. I thought it might be interesting to check out. Making my entrance with a messed up project was not what I had in mind, but you know what they say about the best laid plans.

The main area was filling up quickly, so the owner had me go to another room for more space to clean up my knitting mistakes. Another Raveler recognized me--needless to say, I tend to stand out in these crowds--and joined us in this side room. The knit shop's owner got everything straightened out, including some of the stitches I thought I had saved but hadn't quite. Additionally, one of my Options needles was coming loose and snagging the yarn. Might that have been the instigator for this temporary knitting tragedy?

I finished the skein and tried the hat on because I was fearful that the blasted thing wouldn't fit. It might be a smidgen on the tight side, but that's for reassessing later. Best to put the hat aside and work on it another day.

I was smart enough to bring the scarf, my other WIP of the moment, so I still had something to work on. By this time the three of us in the side room joined everyone else in the main area. It was nice to be in the company of other knitters. I didn't feel too awkward or get the impression that I was imposing. That being said, I stayed relatively quiet, which is how I am in unfamiliar surroundings or until I'm drawn out. I was content to listen and knit the scarf. Before I knew it, almost two and a half hours had passed.

The screening schedule is due for an awards season steroid injection, so it's hard to say how often I'll be able to make it to this knit night. I'd like to go back regularly if I can. Although knitting is a solitary activity, it is very much about community. My knitting community has been mostly virtual, so it would be nice to have a little of that offline too.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across your blog when I was searching for basketweave patterns for a scarf I wanted to make. My introduction to the world of knitting came just two months after your own. I have no friends or acquaintances that knit and I tend to be rather reserved and was hesitant about taking a class. I bought a couple of needles, some yarn and a book about teaching yourself to knit. It took a week or so, but I got the hang of it. It was exciting to learn something new and I was pleasantly surprised to find that knitting was a good stress reliever for me.

A few months ago I got bogged down in a baby blanket WIP on sometimes-awkward circular needles and basicallly stopped knitting altogether. Then I recalled my plan to knit scarves for my friends for Christmas. I was finding it difficult to motivate myself to get started. Reading your blog has helped so much!

I've started and finished two scarves, finished my first hat (it had been on the needles for months) and am actually looking forward to resuming work on the baby blanket when my Christmas gifts are finished.

Perhaps one day I will find a Knit Night group to join.

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your experiences. It has inspired me.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Wow.

Thanks for sharing. You've paid me the highest compliments possible for a writer to receive.

Depending what you've read here, you may know that I got tired of knitting my first baby blanket. The repetition can be a drag.

The best advice I've been given is to put aside projects that just aren't doing it for you. Knitting should be fun. You can always return to those WIPs when you're in the mood to knit them.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Knit Nite!? Hooray for you!

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

so glad you had a great knit night experience - it's fabulous way to meet new people and learn new things!
ps - scary about the options coming loose...that hasn't happened to me yet and i hope it never does cuz i still don't really now how to pick up dropped stitches well w/o just guessing and hoping for the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home