Monday, October 29, 2007

Supermarket sweep

Rather than post minutiae about knitting a scarf, I'll luxuriate in the daily blogging freedom that is the meme. Jenn tagged me for the last shopping trip meme:
The purpose of this meme is to inspire some reflection about how we shop and what we purchase. The idea isn't that consumption itself is somehow bad, but that we all could probably stand to put a little bit more thought into what we buy. And, of course, it's supposed to be fun. So here goes!

Pick a recent shopping trip -- for clothes, shoes, groceries, doesn't matter. The only guideline is that it will be easier to play if you purchased at least a few things. Now tell us about your purchases.
Are you ready to see what I put in my grocery basket last week?

1. What are you proud of?

I'm pleased that I found good deals on some items that also took care of multiple meals. I had no intention of buying bison burgers, but 40% off a delicious and leaner meat that tastes like beef was too good to pass up. I'd never prepared this at home before--read: put bison burgers in a cast iron skillet--but it wasn't like I needed to do anything different. I also got 40% off one of Meijer's prepared meals--orange teriyaki chicken with jasmine rice--but more on that in the next question.

2. What are you embarrassed by?

I know my way around the kitchen and like to cook, so I was embarrassed to get a meal-to-go. I don't always have time to prepare proper meals, and I feel like I haven't been eating as well lately. In that sense, I shouldn't be ashamed of getting something that required no more elaborate preparation than being put in the oven or the microwave. And man, was it good.

3. What do you think you couldn't live without?

Food, obviously, although I suppose I didn't need to get what I got. But who cares what this answer is since I wrote what I could have lived without and then discovered during proofreading that I answered the question incorrectly. Here's my original answer to a misread question...

I could have lived without the clog remover, although the stench emanating from the garbage disposal whenever the water would run in that side of the kitchen stink was essential to eliminate, in my opinion. (Because I feel like I need to defend myself on this one, I've done a pretty good job of keeping my new place clean. Praise to the dishwasher! So I don't know why the garbage disposal was backing up and smelled like something died in it.)

While I'm on the topic of clog removers, it would have been a lot easier to have purchased what I needed if the labels said "safe for kitchen sinks!" or "garbage disposal-friendly!" At least I knew that I couldn't pour just any old drain opener into the sink. I had to scan the directions on several bottles before finding one that wouldn't eat the pipes or destroy the garbage disposal.

4. What did you most enjoy purchasing?

I came away with a nice haul from the food department. I ate well for the days thereafter.

5. What were you most tempted by? (This last one may or may not be an actual purchase!)

I confess that I was weak when it came to the Pepperidge Farm Amaretto Milano cookies. I polished off the entire bag in less than 24 hours.

Thanks for the tag, Jenn! I suppose I have to tag some others, so how about Donia, Jennifer, Ruth, and Karen?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, finally managed to get tech support to unblock your website (bet you didn't know your content was unsavoury).lol

Shopping gets done once a month here - the one with multiple purchases, so I'll play along in a little while.

Don't let me forget.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

considering i'm just reading this post now, i'm probably not gonna have time to do the meme, but i will tag this post so i can remember to do it when things settle down lol

thanks for the tag...even if i'm too busy to participate right now, i'm happy to be thought of : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home