Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A knitting confession

I have a knitting confession to divulge.

I know there aren't hard and fast rules about this sort of thing, but I expect I'm violating the natural order of how projects should be knitted. It isn't something I do with everything I knit. I can't recall it ever causing problems for me, but I may just be biding my time until the day when it catches up with me and has me weeping with regret at my foolishness.

The reason I bring it up is because I've done it again while working on the Ruggles Reversible Scarf. I was tempted to do it shortly after I joined the second ball of yarn to the project, but I was able to muster some self-restraint. Last night I could wait no longer and went ahead and did something that would horrify knitting teachers.

I sewed in all the ends I had on a work in progress.

Granted, it was just three ends. I was tired of the lengthy dangler from my long tail cast on getting in the way. The two where I joined skeins were less irritating, although one was uncomfortably short because I was convinced I could get one more row out of the skein. (Since I did, I guess I was right...but not by much.) It was the reason I held off as long as I did. I figured I ought not to weave it in too early in case I needed to frog in that area. I'm enough past it now that I deemed it worthy of weaving in.

I don't like having a lot of ends to weave in at the end of a project. I probably developed a greater distaste from having eleven scarves worth of them to deal with at once as the holiday approached last year. Weaving in along the way reduces the amount of time spent on this less favorite yet essential task while I'm flush with satisfaction at a job (hopefully) well done. Is that so wrong?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

That doesn't seem like a problem to me. I've never actually had anyone who knows how to knit see me do it, so lord only knows what knitting faux pas I'm committing. When I start a project and when I add a new ball (and I can't felted join of course) I continue to hold the tail for the next 5 stitches so it is already weaved in. Then I just cut it off when I'm finished. Unless I'm doing color work I only have one tail that needs to be weaved in. (The final one at the end of the project)

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Ruby said...

I don't think it's a huge deal, just whatever you prefer. I know people who prefer to weave them in as they go.

If you're going to block the item, then it's probably best to weave them in after blocking since the fabric will change some. But that's the only reason I can see for waiting until the end of the project.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

I think most knitters would commend you for this. I know "weave them in as you go" was recommended in an article I read on the subject somewhere recently. Most of us just don't have the discipline to do so!

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I think you did great! I know many who recommend weaving in as you go so that you don't have the tedious chore of doing all at once. Trust me. I had that chore tonight. On an afghan!!!

So, I commend you, Mark.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I also learned to knit in mid-October 2006 and would LOVE to knit and watch hockey, but my 3 year old is opposed to anything not on Nickelodeon!

Because I also write, I know there are parts of everything I do that I like waaayyy less than other parts. In an effort to 'enjoy the process' I've consciously used weaving in as a time to try out duplicate stitch (still can't do it), see how few stitches I can get it to 'stick' with (about 3 so far) and other ridiculous games, just so I can learn to enjoy the process. I still enjoy the knitting more, but it does help.

And as to the 'right way' to do things, pshaw! I read a lot of knitting info, advice, sage 'absolutes', and then do whatever in the hell I want. I make a few mistakes (euphemistically) and I learn a WHOLE LOT! Weave in as you go, confidential!! Weave in watching hockey!! It's your stuff, do what you want with it, and don't let anyone stop ya!!

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

i think weaving in as you go is a great idea and wish i could make myself do the same thing...i dread that part of the finishing process, so getting it done ahead of time would be great. maybe i will try that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home