Sunday, October 07, 2007

This and that

Knitting on the blanket continued unabated today. Got up, went to church, knitted a couple hours, took a nap during Sunday football, went to Starbucks to knit for an hour and a half, took a break, and knitted some more. I finished the fourth skein and am using the fifth and final. I don't think I can knit the rest tonight, but I'm confident that I'll have an FO to show off tomorrow.

Honestly, I have no idea how I've been able to knit it so quickly. Two weeks? This is a square foot bigger than the baby blankets I knitted. Both of those required lengthy breaks from knitting and were knit over a month or more. I've had laser sharp focus on this project. Did I mention that it's looking great?

A discussion thread on a certain knitting site I've been raving about reveals that Knit Picks Panache and Decadence look like they're being phased out. I thought Panache was terrific for a scarf I made. It was certainly something I wanted to use again. How common is it for yarns to be discontinued? It appears that this will be the first yarn casualty in my knitting life. Here's hoping Knit Picks replaces it with something equally as nice.

In an infrequently updated item on knitting in films, add The Jane Austen Book Club and Lust, Caution to the list. Kathy Baker's character is regularly seen knitting in the former. I don't think it's a spoiler that she isn't the only club member enjoying the hobby by film's end. There are tangles of a whole other sort attracting attention to Lust, Caution, but as far as knitting goes, Wang Tei's character is seen engaging in the needlecraft in a play within the film. I think it's safe to say this is the only place where you will get that information on Ang Lee's latest.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

I've heard rumors (though not from really reliable sources) that Knit Pick yarns that have been discontinued manage to reappear under new names during seasonal promotions. Hopefully they won't be gone forever.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your finished blanket, Mark!

And as long as Knit Picks doesn't get rid of Wool of the Andes, I'll be OK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home