Friday, October 05, 2007

Jackets time

There was talk of a record high for the unseasonably warm day here. It was more like what it should be for baseball or early season football than what one would associate with the beginning of hockey season. Regardless, the NHL schedule began for the Columbus Blue Jackets, and I started the long weekend.

I got downtown two hours before the puck dropped and strolled north on Front Street to get some supper at the North Market. I saw the train hauling coal and took the picture at the top of the post. This seemed like exactly the sort of thing to photograph for a hometown tourist entry. I guess I am also a little fascinated by once dominant technology that has largely faded into the background. Trains are still in regular operation, but surely they aren't employed at a rate they once were. Aside: I can't explain why, but hearing a train's whistle in the distance is something I find comforting.

I made the rounds at the North Market before settling on a freshly made calzone, which I chased with a Thai chili ice cream cone from Jeni's Ice Creams. Normally I'm not so gastronomically adventurous, but Jeni's has a sterling reputation for its unique and delicious flavors. The ice cream has a base made from Columbus' own Krema Peanut Butter and is mixed with toasted coconut, cayenne, and coconut milk. It's very creamy and, most assuredly, very fattening. The creamy peanut butter gives way to some heat at the back of your throat from the cayenne. Good stuff.

I did not sample the chocolatier's wares. Apparently just looking at all that sugar caused the camera to go into a diabetic fog and lose focus. Front and center you can see buckeyes of the edible variety. For those who don't know, buckeye candies are peanut butter fudge dipped in chocolate to resemble the poisonous nut.

Healthier fare abounds too. After all, this is a local market. Since it was almost 6:00 p.m., it was time to head over to the arena.

The team's nickname derives from the state's history with the Union Army. The club is embracing the historical angle this year. A fife and drum corp was on hand. (You can partially see them on the right toward the back.) A replica cannon was installed inside for firing during the team's entrance and when the Blue Jackets score goals. A bugler dressed in Union garb played a song to rally the crowd.

U.S. figure skating champion Todd Eldredge has no Civil War connection that I'm aware of, but he performed as part of the pre-game show. Having watched plenty of Olympic figure skating on TV but never seeing it in person, I have to say that I was impressed with his short program. But then it was time for some different kind of skating...

The hometown team has not had a winning season in its short existence, but for one night it seemed like the sky was the limit for what the new year might bring. They shredded the defending Stanley Cup champion Anaheim Ducks. In all fairness to the opponent, they played two games in London, England and one in Detroit within the past week, so I have a feeling they might be road weary. Still, the Jackets played with an intensity that was pretty rare last season. All four goals were scored at the end where I was seated. I was kind of surprised how celebratory yells roared from me when they posted their two first period goals. Talk about blowing off steam.

Although Nationwide Arena was the site of my first solo knitting in public, I didn't bring it with me today. The blanket was far too bulky to bring. I bought a six game package, so there will still be other opportunities for knitting before hockey games.

By the time the game was over I figured it was already too late to catch all of the Arcade Fire concert across the street. The only taste I got was hearing a couple lines sung while I drove by Lifestyle Communities Pavilion. (What has corporate sponsorship wrought? It's a good venue, bu that name is awful, awful, awful.) Even without seeing one of the (supposedly) best live bands currently touring, it was a fun night and a terrific way to get the weekend going.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Karen said...

You had a great evening! Being inside the ice rink had to be better than being out in the record heat, which has invaded here, too. I turned my AC back on... in October!

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

Sounds like fun! Thanks for the local history! And Todd Eldridge! Wow.

Yep, it's hot here too, but it's Texas after all...

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Sounds like a fun night! We went to the first ever Lake Erie Monsters AHL game...fun times. We lost by one, but it was still fun and we were sitting on the glass, so that's pretty cool, too. Still hoping to make it to C-bus for a game, though...we'll see if we can fit that in sometime this season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home