Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Ravelry revelry

I'm in!

Watching the Ravelry invite line ahead of me shrink but not quite reach me was like counting down those long, final hours until Christmas as a child. Only 29 were in front of me when I left for a screening of The Heartbreak Kid. (I usually like the Farrelly brothers' work, but I wasn't feeling this one.) I was tempted to stay home but didn't. Would I get to join all the cool kids when I got home? Yes!

I should have been prepared for my first obstacle--choosing an unchangeable user name--but I hadn't given it any thought. I didn't want to use my real name, for obvious reasons. The thought of coming up with a new, unique name made my head hurt, especially with the knowledge that I'll be stuck with it forever.

I would have used my blog name--the secret knitter (including the article and written in all lowercase, to be specific)--but I was thwarted by space constraints and the inability to have spaces. While I would prefer to have the determiner with the name, I don't like how "thesecretknitter" looks, so I've gone with "secretknitter". (No silly underscores for me, thank you.) I don't foresee changing my nom de blog, so it makes the most sense.

Now that I'm in, I don't know where to begin. Setting up one's profile requires some heavy duty organizing, something I won't mind doing but which I have no patience for this evening. I think I know what I will be spending the better part of Thursday night doing, though.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Hooray! Welcome to the party!

What's fun about Ravelry? Taking pictures of yarn is fun. Queueing projects is fun. Researching how other people knitted projects that you want to do is really fun. Joining groups and browsing forums is fun. And getting help when you're stuck is going to be so much easier and quicker than on the blog.

And secretknitter is a terrific screen name. Just the right touch.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

I hate making those kinds of decisions as well! You did good.

And I'm SO jealous!!!

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I added you as a friend there, but I haven't really used my account for anything yet. Just gotta make the time to sit down and figure it all out I guess because so far I haven't been bitten by the Ravelry bug.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home