Sunday, July 15, 2007

Summer knitting

This weekend's weather was quite pleasant, so I made sure to take some time to sit on one of my balconies and knit. The sock is a little farther along than what you see in the photograph, but it gives you an idea of where my progress stands.

I'm concerned that I may not have enough yarn in this ball to finish the sock. From the heel I've knitted about five inches of the foot, leaving another four for the foot and two for the toe. I have another ball, but if I need to use some of it, obviously I won't have enough for a second sock. Ordering another isn't a problem as long as I get the same dye lot, of course. Who would have thought that more than 231 yards of yarn could go into one sock? Not me, obviously.

If it seems like I've been working on this sock forever--it does to me--the explanation is that I haven't been engaging in marathon knitting sessions. Being comfortable in my new place means that I'm getting to bed at a decent hour--midnight or shortly thereafter--rather than staying up late knitting to combat my disruptive neighbors. But that's a good thing. I'm also using the smallest needles and finest gauge yarn in my knitting history. I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but I could use a more immediate satisfaction project about now.

I finally thought of a fifth item to add to my "way of the dinosaur" meme. For organizational purposes I'll append it to yesterday's entry but include it here too so you don't have to follow the link. So how else am I clinging to things likely to become obsolete? I wear a watch. I wouldn't have considered that to be something on the way out, but I read a newspaper article suggesting that cell phones and iPods, among other electronic devices, do well enough as timepieces for people. That sounds reasonable to me, although maybe watches will hang around as a fashion accessory after they're less essential for their primary purpose.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

the sock looks great - i hope you have enough yarn, but i'm sure the other girls can be a better judge since they are sockaholics :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home