Monday, June 11, 2007

Thwarted

Today's plan was to get my work done from home, write a review or two, and then spend the day relaxing. I suppose it all worked out in the end even if I was stymied at just about every turn.

I woke up earlier than I wanted, but that's par for the course in the new apartment until I get a shade to put inside the blinds. I thought I might adjust to all that sunlight in the bedroom. Nope. I've been getting to bed earlier here than at my old place, so I'm dealing with it reasonably well.

I hopped on the computer to take care of student employee scheduling and to get their requested off days from my e-mail. That's when my internet service went down for forty-five minutes.

My next endeavor was one of the few things to happen without any setbacks. I was able to drive from home to the movie theater and get money from the ATM in six minutes. (I love how close my new apartment is to places I regularly go.) I needed to see Ocean's Thirteen for work--really--so I caught up with it at noon. Who goes to see a movie in the middle of a Monday? Not many people. It was me and two other ticket buyers in the largest auditorium in the multiplex.

I decided that my next project will be to knit socks for myself. I've ordered yarn from Knit Picks, but with my mind made up, I can't wait until that package arrives. I bought some variegated yarn at a LYS and dpns at JoAnn's. My coupon was denied because it isn't eligible until next week. (I have no sense of what day it is right now.) The thwarting was just beginning.

I got home ready to finish my work and start the sock. When I looked at the pattern in the book again, I realized that his basic sock was something to make for practice and was not going to give me an item I could wear. I searched through several websites trying to understand how to determine the number of stitches to cast on and what size needles I should use. (I bought the US 6 dpns for the pattern I now wouldn't be following.)

There's a wealth of information out there. Some of it isn't descriptive enough, and some seems to contradict the other. I really wanted to knit this sock. Since Karen is trying to brainwash me into the sock cult, I asked if she could point me toward some patterns that met the stitches per inch and needles I had. You could say she had some suggestions. I'm going with these, which worked out because I struck out looking for bamboo US 4 dpns at JoAnn's, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby. (I was going to knit the Cider Moon pattern.)

Following up on a question in yesterday's comments, I'm making all these dishcloths to give as gifts. A couple will go to my parents, and two or three will be birthday gifts for my great aunt. (I have no clue what to give her. I know these will be used and appreciated.)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the first socks for you. I've got the pattern you are making printed out for 'one-day' so I'll be interested to see how you go. Your second baby sock looks great too btw.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Moi? Sweet innocent me? Trying to brainwash you? Pah! ;-)

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Socks!

I should be knitting lots of socks now--I have 3 skeins of some quality sock yarn that were given to me as gifts...3 skeins! Woo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home