Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Socked up

Super Quick Baby Sock

Yarn: Dark Horse Yarns-Fantasy (50% nylon, 50% acrylic; worsted weight)
Color: 31 (baby pink)
Needles: US 7 dpns
Stitches: 24

Amazing. I finished knitting a sock.

Because you know I'm going to do it, let's dispense with what's wrong upfront. The heel flap ribbing is on the wrong side. There's a fairly prominent hole around where the left side of the ankle would be. The chain selvage is still visible on the left side. My cast on row is probably tighter than it should be. My ssk stitches in the toe stick out some. (At least I think that's what they are.)

All that aside, I'm shocked that it looks right and that I was able to knit it. This really tried my patience, especially because I would get conflicting or unclear information from the resources I checked. I wasn't always able to make sense of Silver's Sock Class instructions--an issue related to my denseness most likely--but the Kitchener stitch description could not have been better. I'm very pleased with how I grafted those stitches.

I'm still not clear on how to determine what the wrong side is. Should I have turned the work in progress inside out to stay in pattern? I learned how to slip knitwise and purlwise. I got a better grasp of ssk...I think. I learned about short rows and turning the work. And I had it confirmed for me that you rabid sock knitters are stark raving mad. (I mean that in, umm, the nicest way.) I'm not going to quit on socks, but so help me, I could not knit these on a regular basis without losing my mind.

I guess this means I have to knit another one even if this sock joins my practice piece as Knitted Things Not Fit For Public Consumption.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

You are to be congratulated, sir.

The wrong-side thing isn't that hard in socks, I don't think. The side of the heel flap that is going to end up inside the sock is the WS. You don't have to turn the sock inside-out because when you're knitting the heel flap, it's like a tab hanging off the tube you've already knitted -- you can see both sides, because you're not knitting a tube anymore. If I were knitting a stockingette stitch sock, I'd knit around for ankle to start, then when I got to the heel flap, I'd put my stitches on one needle and purl across it for my first heel flap row, which is going to end up on the inside of the sock. In rib you just have to knit the knits, purl the purls, just as you'd do when you turn that ribbed scarf around and do every other row. Think of the heel flap as a brief excursus into scarf knitting, if it helps. :)

Picking up stitches and doing a toe is much harder than conceptualizing the wrong side of the heel flap, so I know you'll get it (if you ever return to socks).

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger miss ewe said...

Congratulations. Don't make judgements about we the obsessed until you have knit a sock that you can put on your own foot. You'll see. There's something very special...

I wonder if you were knitting inside out? When you knit your leg tube, was the tube part between you and the needles, or behind the needles? If behind the needles, then your right side is the outside of the tube.

Also, the thing about larger sized socks is you have more uncomplicated time knitting each step to contemplate the next move. It's less crazy-making that way.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Wtg, Mark...I'm truly impressed...seriously. Makes me want to go find my UFO sock and try to pick up those stitches! Maybe soon...

Odd question for you (and I know it's already been answered, but I'm too lazy to try to find that post on your blog)...what's your favorite color? Thanks in advance : )

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Congrats! Your first sock has way fewer issues than mine did. Mine was so lame that I hunted for that same yarn a couple years later so I could make a good pair from it. :)

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the first sock. My first one also had the 'holes' at the heel.

When you knit the heel flap you are knitting back and forth on one needle, so you should purl the purl stiches and knit the knit stitches like normal. Does that make sense?

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger sarah lou said...

woot! happy first sock!

i never thought i'd get into socks, either... but right now? i have five different pairs in various stages of progress... i'm not kidding... good luck with not becoming a regular sock knitter. ;)

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm not going to say anything except that I dare you to stop. You know you liked the challenge!

:-)

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I think that the tube was between me and the needles, which complicated the process even more. I'd have to make another to be sure, though.

I swear I purled the purl stitches and knit the knit stitches on the heel flap, but I have no idea at this point.

Just in case there are any hard feelings, I'm joking around with calling you sock knitters stark raving mad. But not entirely. ;)

I imagine that if I read my early posts again, I was the same way when I was learning to knit. If I didn't pick it up right away, I got frustrated. I guess my patience supply needs refilled.

My favorite color is forest green, if we're being specific. (Look at the bottom of this page for an example.)

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Dude, you knit a sock. Congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home