Monday, June 04, 2007

Back to basics

Thanks for the advice and encouragement on the socks. I wrote about my sock knitting frustration in the heat of the moment. It gave me energy to burn, that's for sure. Bristling with the aggravation of an afternoon's knitting, I went out and ran a mile and a half around my new neighborhood before needing to head inside to avoid the rain.

I have not attempted to pick up stitches today, and I can safely say that it won't happen until tomorrow at the earliest. I've been biding my time doing other things: a late afternoon nap, a haircut, finally getting some food to put in the refrigerator, trying to write movie reviews. I've been slowly tapping out my reviews for tomorrow's show, so the knitting has had to go on the back burner.

I have taken one break to knit, and I started--what else--a dishcloth. I decided that I might as well see if I remembered how to do the long-tail cast on. It went smoother than my first successful attempt, but I need to be careful at doing it too tightly. Getting the needle through to knit was something of a challenge. Silly question: is there an equivalent bind off?

I finished a dishcloth last night--well, save for weaving in the ends--but amid my other activities, I failed to take pictures today. It's probably best to save that for tomorrow's entry in the event that my sock knitting puts me in a surly mood again.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:49 PM, Blogger miss ewe said...

I hate when things like work get in the way of knitting!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Casting on too tightly is actually a fairly common mistake. I think I did it for a year before I finally started casting on a little more loosely.

In the past week I've taught two more people to knit...looks like I'm doing my part to sharing the good knitting with the world!

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Karen said...

If you cast on too tightly with the long tail method, try casting on using a larger size needle, or cast on over two needles held together.

Sometimes when knitting is frustrating, or anything else, I step away. When I come back, I can totally see it clearly. Hope that's the case with your socks, friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home