Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Eureka!

Success picking up stitches!

It took me two tries to figure it out. The first time I used needle #1 to pick up the stitches. I saw it suggested somewhere. This was a bad idea. It was very hard to knit. On top of that, I began picking up stitches at the opposite end of where I wanted. Once I had picked up eight stitches it was quite obvious that I had messed up. Another video demo showed an empty needle being used, so I tried that method. Much better. I slipped those stitches onto needle #1, knitted across the instep, and picked up eight more stitches on the other side.

This made me very happy. I've been shaping the instep without incident.

That doesn't mean my knitting is flub-free. Oh no, not at all.

That hole is a problem. The edge where I picked up stitches isn't nearly as clean on this side either. I can't in good conscience give this to anyone, but right now I'm pleased to have made it this far. Thanks to Karen for the links she passed along. I'd seen one of them before, but it made more sense today.

The pattern says to knit until the foot measures 2 1/2" inches from the picked up stitches. It could be tricky determining where that is. Then again, if I've already decided that this won't be given as a gift, does it matter?

Getting to this point has required a lot of brainpower and focus, so I'm done with the sock for the night. Maybe I'll try to finish tomorrow if I can get a handle on the Kitchener stitch.

As promised, I do have an FO to show.

Waved welt dishcloth

Yarn: Lily The Original Sugar 'n Cream (100% cotton; worsted weight)
Color: Potpourri
Needles: US 7s
Stitches: 47

This dishcloth turned out really well, which is nice since I'll be giving it away. I goofed up in one spot--a dropped stitch, maybe--but it isn't terribly noticeable.

Another dishcloth is on the needles. It should keep me occupied for the rest of the time I watch TV tonight.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Congrats on the heel turning! And in-step shaping -- I haven't even done any of that. My picked-up stitches looked terrible as well (partly because I forgot to slip the gusset stitch a couple of times on the flap). And my latest sock, in which I did a short-row heel for the first time, has a big hole at the ankle like that on one side. Maybe some of our more experienced friends can tell us how to avoid it.

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Jenni said...

I've stopped at the picking up part of my 2nd sock, as I didn't enjoy it much on the first sock. I am going to use a crochet hook this time, if I can make myself get going on it again. I'm knitting dishcloths now, so ?? Yours looks good I've save the pattern.

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

good job, mark - i'm so impressed and jealous, even if it isn't perfect...at least you attempted it, which is more than i can say for myself. maybe this weekend i will give it a go : )

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Yippee! It's a recognizable sock! I have the biggest grin on my face right now, but don't have time to write more. :-)

Welcome to the cult, my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home