Thursday, May 31, 2007

Testy

Sigh.

I'm back to nothing on the needles for my practice sock. Somehow I knit together stitches on separate dpns that shouldn't have been knit together. (I don't know how to describe it other than to say it was really, really wrong.) So, rrrrrrrrrrip.

Since I was starting over, I thought I'd try doing the long-tail cast on again. I was successful at getting the stitches on, although I'm not sure why it's necessary to hold the yarn the way the diagrams instruct and move the needle this way and that. Best as I can tell, I would accomplish the same thing by wrapping the working yarn around the needle and dispensing with the instructions. Of course, for all I know I'm doing it incorrectly.

Maybe that's the case. I'll be damned if I can keep those stitches on the needles when I try to divide them among three dpns. It doesn't seem possible. After two failed attempts, I've decided to give up for tonight. It isn't working, and I'm getting tired of spending all my time with nothing to show for it. I'll try again tomorrow or Saturday.

OK sock knitters, how should I be casting on? Does it sound like I'm doing the long-tail cast on properly? The cast on row may undo my efforts to attempt sock knitting.

In the meantime, it's back to dishcloths. It's not the most exciting thing, although I am going to try a different pattern. So help me, I may be tempted to knit a scarf despite the temperature hovering around 90. I want to work on something substantial and don't know what to do. Socks are bedeviling me, and I haven't even arrived at the hard parts.

3 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger miss ewe said...

I used this tutorial to learn the long-tail cast-on:
http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=101

You can also just do a "normal" cable cast-on as long as you do it really loosely (so as not to cut off circulation!).

Don't give up yet!

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Goldarn it, just lost a long comment. Here's the gist: Long-tail cast-on is worth it because it's stretchy (you want sock cuffs to be stretchy). It's different from just wrapping yarn around needles because if you do it right, you have the first row of knit stitches already done when you've finished casting on. So no, doesn't sound like you've got it yet. Do it over 2 needles, too. I learned from knittinghelp.com and it's the first cast-on I learned (because it's the first one on the page and she was so enthusiastic about). Watch the video a million times and you'll get it.

In addition to losing that comment, I unknit 88 stitches tonight because I missed a k2tog on the previous row. So I am with you, brother.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Yeah, I'm not doing it right. I've had nothing but a slipknot and the yarn wrapped around the needle. I guess it's good to have my wrongness confirmed. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home