Monday, May 21, 2007

Blocks

Dishcloth

Yarn: The Original Sugar 'n Cream (100% cotton; worsted weight)
Color: Sage green
Needles: US 8s
Stitches: 36
Stitch pattern: Seed stitch

As knitting projects go, this was not the most interesting thing I've ever made. In fact, I was sort of bored with it shortly after beginning. It was a a good start-stop project for diverting my attention from cleaning and packing. I would attend to moving-related activities for awhile, knit a few rows, and then go back to boxing things. It also didn't require my utmost focus while I tried to whittle down two months' of Lost episodes sitting on the DVR.

Closer inspection of my work would have tipped me off to the error I made. Apparently I lost track of what row I was on and ended up with a stripe of ribbing. A few rows later I noticed it, but I told myself that it's just a dishcloth, so leave it alone. I'm not sure if I should be disconcerted about this creeping attitude, but it works for me at this time.

Resigned acceptance of such mistakes can be chalked up to the fact that I'm tired. Recent months have been wearing me down physically and mentally, not that you can really separate the two, and I'm ready for the break that is nowhere in sight.

Getting myself moved will be a major source of stress out of the way (and hopefully a stress reducer as far as living conditions are concerned). I have a feeling that it's going to be a rough move. One of my brothers is unable to help because of health issues. The Friday and Saturday forecasts call for rain. I dodged one potential problem that arose today. A rental agent called to say that the office was going to be closed all day Friday for a meeting, so I would have to wait until Saturday to get the keys. Per my request, they're going to let me get them Thursday night. With all Friday available to me, I imagine I'll cart boxes back and forth in my car to try and cut down on what needs to be done before my family arrives on Saturday.

I'm ready to be done with the move and don't even want to think about unpacking stuff. I think I've done a pretty good job of staying on top of making address changes and remembering all the other little tasks involved with moving. Being vigilant about these details and all the uncertainty elsewhere this year is wearing me out, though. Sure the end is near with this move...and then it's time for the massive relocation of everything at work.

Conceivably things are looking up, so I shouldn't let this grind me down. Ordinarily the arrival of summer marks a slower period, but when school ends in about two weeks, I'm afraid I may be busier than usual at the office. It must be one of those days. The pressure of being ready to move in time is on, and I'm feeling the heat of having to write for tomorrow's show and not finding the inspiration. (I've even skipped tonight's screening with the intent to write and pack.) And it all results in being blocked. I don't even know how to finish here. So I guess I'll call it a post.

3 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the move this weekend, I hope the weather stays clear for you. Don't stress too much about the unpacking, unpack the essentials and the rest can be done slowly.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Thanks. I'm feeling better now than I was during last night's panic about the work ahead of me. But these reviews still haven't written themselves...

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Hey Mark? Breathe!

Do what you can, and good luck with the move. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the weather.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home