Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Hosed

I promised that once I moved to my new place I would begin the knitting of socks. I'm not nearly as confident as the rest of you that I'm capable, especially after perusing a Socks 101 tutorial. If I were to put a voice to what it sounded like in my head while reading the pages, then there's no better choice than Charlie Brown's teacher. Good grief!

I went to the library and got a book called, appropriately enough, Socks Socks Socks, but I don't know that it is any help. I hoped to find good instructions and a pattern that would be right for a first project. Once the heel arrives, I'm lost, and honestly, I didn't like anything I saw in the slender book. So I'm back to square one.

Slipping and turning and gussets...oh my. And how about some boring socks? I wear tennis shoes--OK, technically running shoes or cross trainers--almost every day, so it's white athletic socks for me most of the time. I don't need Technicolor hosiery or ornately designed socks. Boring would be great.

What I'm saying is that I'm at a loss for where to begin with this nonsense. I need to get the proper size of dpns and yarn, which I intend to do tomorrow, but I'm completely out of my element on socks.

After the cable repair person comes to fix my internet connection in the morning, I may swing by the library within a mile or two of my new home. Perhaps it will have a book more suited to my needs. But I expect not. If there's anything I know about socks and knitting, it's that variation is the appeal.

5 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Baby socks! Start there. Try this pattern Super Quick Baby Socks. http://www.geocities.com/blossomknitwear/superquickbabysocks

They use dpns, but not tiny ones, and you'll end up with a gift to give away, instead of socks you won't wear. Best of all, you'll learn the process that can transfer to big socks.

A great book? Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. Step by step instructions on how to put together a sock, from simple patterns to complex.

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I taught myself last year - the come to silver sock class http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htmis fabulous and has step by step pictures.

Use dpns - much easier than circs. Use a finer needle, fatter needles will leave you with stretched socks that fit elephant legs (just ask me how I know)...

Good luck!

ps glad your move went smoothly.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger miss ewe said...

I taught myself out of the Yarn Harlot's "Knitting Rules", because she kind of demystifies the whole thing. It's not that tough...
And as Karen said, Sensational Knitted Socks has a great tutorial at the beginning, and good instructions that would really get you started right.
Good luck!

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Thanks for the links. A quick glance at them reveals that they should be quite helpful.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

well, since i'm still working on my second sock (and not the second of a pair, either...gave up on the first cuz i didn't like how i started it, so i moved on to a new pattern and new method), i'm not really the proper party to be giving advice, but as far as not needing fancy socks for yourself, you could always knit some using wool too keep you feet warm in the winter while knitting at home : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home