Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Moving Blues

...and exhale.

So I was a wee bit uptight last night. It has passed. Blowing off that steam was probably what I needed. Since I was stuck, I plopped down on the couch to watch the season finales of 24 (verdict: lame, just like the season) and Heroes (verdict: good but the show has yet to reach its potential). I even went to bed before midnight, which is not a common occurrence. I felt better this morning despite having three reviews in desperate need of writing. While I have misgivings about what I wrote, the reviews got done and might have a flash or two of worthwhile ideas in them. Can't say that for the show we taped. The afternoon coffee had worn off by then, and I could feel the caffeine and its energy-sapping property sending me into sleep mode.

As if you didn't already know, it's Moving Week. Officially there are four days until I make the transition, but I've decided that I'm going to do as much as I can on my own on Thursday and Friday. I got approval to use the van from work to transport my things, so that ought to allow me to double up on what I can take per trip. My tentative goal is to get everything in boxes to the new apartment before my mom, dad, and youngest brother arrive on Saturday. I will need assistance (and a small rental truck) to get the larger stuff moved. If that's all I have left, then I can get more help doing the requisite cleaning that needs to be done before turning in the keys.

Knowing that I can spread the move over several days makes me feel better. I also have more confidence that I won't have to return on Sunday to do any minor work, such as cleaning the oven and spackling nail holes. I'd like to spend the rest of the weekend reading The Yiddish Policemen's Union, knitting, and, above all else, relaxing.

One potential purchase for the new place is that functional piece of furniture for lazy college students and bachelors known as the futon. I have a couch, but I wouldn't shed any tears if I leave it behind on the curb awaiting garbage collection. It isn't what I would call comfortable. Getting it out of the apartment will be a good trick in its own right. (The narrow stairwell and alignment of doors requires several calculations with a protractor and compass and subsequent readjustments for moving any furniture of consequence. Thank you, 1950s architects.) Inexpensive is good. Any suggestions? And before you say it, the closest IKEA is near Pittsburgh.

3 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Yay Yiddish Policemen's Union!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Karen said...

A futon? Come on! Buy a real couch already! Otherwise, go to Value City or JCPenney outlet or something like that.

So happy to read that you've calmed down a bit. :-)

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Self-promotion is totally cool. :)

Who can afford a couch when I've made the brilliant decision to move so I have a commute when gas prices are at record highs? (It's $3.50 a gallon here.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home