Friday, May 25, 2007

The last night in the old place

What else is there to say except that today was more moving, packing, and cleaning? While I haven't moved every possible item on my own, I've moved most of the manageable ones. My arms, legs, and back are sore, and my allergies are killing me. Still, it's been a good day.

When I picked up my keys, I got a packet with some information about the area. Included was a flyer for cable service. The rental agent told me to call him to see if he could get me a better deal than what I have. (I'm transferring service rather than establishing it.) He told me that they should have given me his information when I signed the lease because he couldn't do anything since I already have a Saturday appointment for the transfer. He did let me know that I was paying full price for everything and how I might be able to get them to give me the price he could offer. Long story short, I knocked about $40 per month off of my cable bill. That's serious savings.

My next experience with customer service eventually produced a good result, but it took repeat phone calls and long hold times to get the simple answer I wanted. I found a futon online that looked like it was what would work for me, but I wanted to make sure it was available locally. (I can't imagine what the shipping charges are for something that heavy.) After twenty minutes I finally got to the right department and was told that they had it in stock. I was also told that I'd need a truck, SUV, or van to haul it. I was still using the van from work to move things, so now was the time to get it if it met my approval. It did. I needed every last inch to get it into the vehicle. I snared the last one in stock. Someone else bought one at the same time I did.

So the move has been all right so far. Yeah, it's a major hassle, but I'm sort of amazed how much I've been able to accomplish without any help. It will be good to have my parents and brother pitching in tomorrow, although I know that they are going to drive me absolutely crazy.

It started almost as soon as they arrived. First they couldn't find the place. My mom yelled my name in the parking lot because somehow she'd lost track of everyone. Then my parents had to get all chatty in the stairwell. (It was after 10 p.m., and I know that I wouldn't appreciate people talking there at that time.) Also, my family members have heavy foot syndrome. They do not move quietly. Clomp, clomp, clomp up the steps. My neighbors will already hate me. My mom mentions that there is no toilet paper. That's true. Maybe it's because while they're sleeping they'll have spent more time there than I have. I bet I'll hear in the morning that there isn't a shower curtain. Hmm, I wonder why that is.

About now I should be prepping some things for tomorrow and getting to bed before too long. The next time you hear from me, which I expect to be Saturday night, I'll be established in my new home. Hallelujah.

3 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Enjoy the last night in your old place. Enjoy your family time. And because I can't resist, A futon?! What were you thinking? you couldn't get a real couch?! I said to buy a real couch!
(Just getting you ready for someday when you have a nagging other-half.) :-)

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Yeah, I know you object, but a proper couch costs more than I was looking to spend. Trust me, anything is better than what I had. It also means less color clashing, which I'm sure some future better half would appreciate. :)

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

yay for a smooth move...hope the family doesn't drive you too crazy and hope the rest of the move/cleaning goes as well as so far. so happy that you'll be in your new place and enjoying some peace and quiet : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home