Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Scraps

Today seems like a good day for some unconnected items...

The game review I mentioned in this post is now published on Kristin's site. You can read it here.

The striped scarf should be proof positive that joining skeins is no longer a big ordeal for me. Since I had to cut the yarn and tie the tail with the other color every six inches, I got plenty of practice.

I have a lot of ends to sew in. All of them, in fact. I need to get a quick lesson from Kristin in how to do this, and then I can truly say I have eleven FOs to date.

How did I manage to knit eleven scarves in two months? Seriously, I thought that knitting seven in time for Christmas was going to be more than I was capable of doing. I'm beginning to think it's a major reason why I've been able to stay sane in an otherwise busy and stressful time.

Speaking of which, last night I hit the wall that I subconciously knew I was approaching. It brought yesterday's post to its logical conclusion, although how it happened caught me completely off-guard.

Yesterday's second screening was for the live-action version of Charlotte's Web. I didn't know why, but I felt anxious on the way to the theater. That developed into a rambunctious mood as a few of us trying to survive the screening schedule compared stress levels and vented before the film started.

Charlotte's Web was the right movie at the right time in that I know the story, even if I had forgotten a few of the particulars, and wouldn't have to think. It was the wrong movie in that it took every ounce of diminished strength I had to keep from openly weeping for the last fifteen or twenty minutes of it.

I'm going to assume that everyone knows how it ends, but if not (and you care), skip ahead to the next paragraph so that I don't spoil it for you. I was moved by the common decency of the film and its characters, but what had me fighting turning into a quivering mass was when Charlotte tells Wilbur that she is going to die and that she feels honored to have known such a good friend. I'm pretty sure that the shots cut to more extreme close-ups between the spider and the pig as the conversation goes on. I'm not kidding when I say that I really wanted them to stop it because it was killing me inside. It was like every cut and every word was shooting right through me. I thought I'd made it through the worst of it, but the rest of the movie I was on the verge of falling apart.

It really is a beautiful film about friendship, and it's supposed to be sad and happy. Still, I'm not sure that it's so powerful as to wreck me like it did. I've teared up at movies before. It's not a regular thing, but if something is good enough and hits the right buttons, I'm not immune to shedding a few tears. This was something else, though. I had trouble holding it together talking to Kristin on the way to the parking lot and finally let loose on the drive home. I'm guessing that physical and mental weariness combined with an expert tearjerking film laid me flat.

Really, I have a stronger constitution than the impression I may be giving. I feel better this morning, but thinking back to those scenes chokes me up a little even now. Maybe it's something about talking pig movies. Babe didn't have this effect on me--I can't think of any movie that's wiped me out like that--but it moved me quite a bit too.

I can't end on a teary note, so I'll wrap on a question for you all. Does anyone know of any good knit hat patterns for men? I'd like to make one that matches the scarf I'm going to knit for myself. Something basic style-wise and knitting-wise. It's not too cold right now, but I know I'm going to need something before long.

Next...beginning Kristin's scarf.

7 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i made one of the hats from stitch n bitch nation for my hubby last year...it was pretty quick and simple and he loves it! note: make it a little longer than the pattern calls for or just make sure it covers your ears before finishing it...his only complaint is that it's not quite long enough.

can't wait to see charlotte's web now! i have a ridiculous phobia of spiders and thought maybe i ought not subject myself to this, but now i just have to see it. hopefully the realness of charlotte won't freak me out too much ;)

and i'm sure u were overly emotional due to the current stresses in life and the film just brought it all out. that happened to me when i went to see "the last kiss" this summer - did u see it? i sobbed almost the entire time and i know it was just all the stress i had been under w/ other things at that time, but man, was i a blubbering mess!

ps - has anyone else noticed that blogger is acting up? it's randomly not letting me log in so i have to post these comment using "other"...i've only noticed it on beta blogs. hmm...

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Apparently a dying spider makes me cry, but 75 people killed in a plane crash in a movie based on a true story doesn't. (I saw We Are Marshall tonight.)

Yes, everything hit me like a ton of bricks last night, which probably speaks to the degree the film affected me, but I think that even in a less exhausted state it would have got to me. What it says about friendship and having a generous spirit touched me deeply.

It's a great movie, and Julia Roberts couldn't be better in providing Charlotte's voice. The spider does look real, but hopefully you'll be able to see what's inside of her rather than her scary exterior. :)

The Last Kiss seems like it was ages ago. (I'm not joking when I say that I may have seen 75 films in the theater since I saw it.) I don't remember a lot about it, but I can understand why it might produce some tears.

I haven't noticed any issues with beta Blogger, but I have his page tied to a Gmail account, meaning I'm always logged in. I thought they were close to dropping the beta tag for this version, but maybe there are a few things they need to fix.

 
At 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd suggest looking through the back issues of knitty (sorry don't know how to link in comments, but googling it will work) THE online knitting magazine of choice. They have a good selection of hats that don't look like something grandad would wear and have rating on their patterns according to difficulty.

Regarding Charlotte's Web - perhaps it's not so much the movie (though it does sound quite manipulative) as your current lack of sleep and living conditions and it just provided an outlet for the bottled emotion - which can be a good thing.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I am familiar with Knitty, so I'll have to see if I can find anything there. Thanks.

I did feel better after the film got all that emotion out of me, so it was a good thing even if I wasn't sure why I was reacting that way.

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way, the hat i was talking about was from stitch n bitch, not stitch n bitch nation.

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog, and I must say I'm pretty impressed with your enthusiasm about knitting! Here's a nice pattern for men or women: http://www.redlipstick.net/knit/martext.html . It doesn't have any really nutty stuff going on, so it's perfect for a beginner like you. I have also knit this cap for my nephew, and he loved it: http://www.vintageknits.com/hat.html .

Hope these help, and keep up the good work!!

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Glad you've stopped by and found it worth reading. And I love getting comments.

The first hat you've linked to might be a little beyond my abilities at this point. I'm knitting my twelfth scarf and have purled on just one of them. That's about as complicated as my knitting has been. I've not used circular or double pointed needles yet.

The second hat might be more on my level, but I'll definitely need some help getting started.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll keep them in mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home