Saturday, April 28, 2007

Four Sticks

A quick one while I'm away...

I started my waiting at the festival with joining the cast on row in the round. I've brought along The Knitting Answer Book, which described two ways of doing this. I tried the first method. I cast on an extra stitch, slipped it onto the left needle, and then knit two together. Just like that the project is joined! (I'll post a progress photo, maybe on Sunday. Time has been tighter than I anticipated, and if it weren't for dedicating myself to daily blogging, this entry wouldn't get up.)

I was so pleased with myself that I proceeded to knit every stitch in the first row and started to do the same on the second row. At this point I realized that in my haste I had forgotten to follow the pattern. I had to frog everything and begin again.

I cast on and joined again. Knitting with four needles and divided stitches is awkward, but the second and third rows were slightly easier to manage than the first. This is the perfect project to have at the festival because it doesn't take up much room, and I can quickly put it back in my bag if needed. Having the stitches divided among three needles also aids in quick stashing, although I fear I may lose my place if doing so when partially through a row.

I'm at a decreasing row in the pattern. I've never done a ssk--I've always knit two together when making it on straights--so that'll be a new skill to add to the arsenal.

OK, time to rush to the theater and wait around some more...

3 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

I told you you could do it!!! Good work--I'll have to remember that trick for joining the round--there was no gap or anything, right?

Next you'll be knitting socks! And ssk is pretty easy--I always "cheat" a little on it...

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Karen said...

No one here had any doubts... except maybe you. :-)

ssk will make the decrease lean the other direction than k2tog. (One slants right, the other slants left.)

You'll need the skill for socks because one side of the sock needs ssk and other other side uses k2tog. *evil grin*

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

good job, mark, and thx for the tip on joining w/o a gap - i'll definitely try that next time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home