Monday, March 05, 2007

Moving and mistakes

It's official. I have a new apartment secured.

In what has to be a record turnaround, I applied on Friday, faxed my most recent pay stub this morning, and signed the lease agreement this afternoon. I pushed up my move-in date to May 26 so more help will be available. OK, so I'll have overlapping rents for a few days, but it'll be worth it if it means a faster move.

There are more pleasant ways to spend a holiday weekend, but hopefully this suburban relocation will make every day more pleasant. No more coming home wondering how much noise I'll have to put up with or if I'll have a parking spot. No more guessing if my newspaper will be there in the morning. (A week and a half streak of it not being stolen ended today.)

I still felt blah today. Nothing awful, just a general weariness. I came home from work content to do nothing, but once I started doing laundry, I decided to take care of some cleaning in preparation for the move. This process will be a lot easier on me if I try to get something done every couple days. (I know myself well enough to realize I won't do it every day.) Did I get a lot done? It's hard to say, but I'm now a few hours closer to being finished. Just don't make me calculate how many more are left.

As for the knitting issues of the day...

What do I do with those two loops of yarn protruding from the back of one of my mom's slippers? I believe these were parts of the seam that didn't get pulled tight somehow, although everything back there seems OK. (I don't see any gaping holes.) I could try pulling them through with a crochet hook, but I can't sew them in because they don't have any ends. Even if I were to cut the yarn--a bad idea, I'm guessing--it's not like there'd be a lot for me to sew in anyway.

This does remind me of another near catastrophe I had knitting these. When I finished the second slipper and had a stitch that didn't get drawn up like the rest, I did some extra pulling and broke the yarn. Uh oh. I joined some other yarn to it and made it work, I think, but it just goes to show that I can do all that good knitting and then let my error-prone side try to sabotage everything.

I've started the decreases on the baby blanket. I was wondering if I would really need three skeins of yarn as the pattern suggested. Now I believe. This thing is taking forever to finish.

3 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Congrats on the apt...I'm sure you are going to be so happy to be away from the noise-makers!

Not sure what to tell you about the loop...anyone else?

 
At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly, congratulations on scoring the apartment!

DON'T CUT THE LOOP! Your idea to pull it through with a crochet hook is what I would try first.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I left a comment yesterday with an idea on how to fix it... did you see it? Whatever you do, don't cut the loop!

Great news on the apartment being a go. Now you have a definite timeline.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home