Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Gains and non-losses

Knitting resources keep coming in. You might recall that the first friend with whom I shared my knitting secret told me that he learned to knit in his Hong Kong elementary school. I made him a striped scarf (FO #11). In thanks he sent me two knitting DVDs.

The Art of Knitting and Knit Fashions in Motion arrived in yesterday's mail. I haven't had time to look at them, but they look to be good additions to my knitting reference materials. The Art of Knitting will probably be more useful since I don't know that I'll be rushing to make the items highlighted on the back cover of Knit Fashions in Motion. (I can't see myself using purses, shrugs, cuffs & collars, and shoulder warmers.) It's the thought that counts, though.

I had a small scare today when I lost track of my second ribbed hat. The TV station had to cover the state of the community address. I went to council chambers to make sure that everything with the teleprompter was in place and walked home for a break.

Since I've made these toques I've worn one almost every time I've gone outside. I'm losing my hair earlier than I ought to. (Unfortunately that's the genetic card I've been dealt, or I should have listened as a child when I was told to remove my baseball hat at the dinner table.) I've noticed the big difference it makes to have my head covered. Apparently I didn't pull on the hat for this short walk because when I headed back to city hall, I couldn't find my grey hat.

I wouldn't want to lose anything I've made, but considering the challenges I faced in knitting this hat, I really didn't want to lose this one. I knew it could only be in one of two places, neither of which would be high traffic areas, but I experienced a little wave of panic that my hat was gone for good. I returned to the city building, and sure enough, there it was on a chair behind the computer I'd been setting up. I must have put my coat over it and forgotten to pick it up.

OK, so that's not the world's most exciting story, but it has a happy ending.

3 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

That was a close one - glad you found your hat!

 
At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing worse than that wave of panic when you think you've lost something precious. Glad it turned up!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Whew! Lost and found. So happy for you that your hard work wasn't lost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home