Friday, March 02, 2007

How to spell relief

I've been tense all week about my future living arrangements. It's the uncertainty of it all. Questions, questions, questions. When can I move? Will my landlord let me break the lease? Will there be an available apartment at the complex where I'd like to live? Can I possibly get everything ready to move in time? What should I pack now?

At heart I am a worrier. (Thanks mom.) I know there's no rational benefit from worrying, especially about things out of my control, but it's tough overcoming something that feels natural. I'll grant myself a little leeway on this matter. After all, a comfortable place to live is pretty important according to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Today I was getting wound up about these questions. I decided that I couldn't wait any longer to talk to my landlord. Whatever his answer was regarding the lease, I had to know now. He told me he couldn't let me out of it early. I expected he'd say that, but it was disappointing considering I've been living here since I graduated from college, have some solid reasons for him to make an exception, and have always paid my rent on time. (He's owned the place for just a couple years but knows my history.) He agreed that if he could find someone to take my place early, he'd let me out of the contract. Well, that's something.

Having spoken to him meant that I could fill out a rental application at my apartment complex of choice. (I didn't want them contacting him before I informed him of my intent to move.) At least this would put my name in the hat for any available place. As luck would have it, one apartment with my desired floor plan and location was available to be occupied starting on June 1. That's when my current lease runs out.

Rather than roll the dice that the circumstances would line up better for an April or May move, I paid the deposit and locked in the apartment. Assuming that nothing goofy happens with the processing of my application, I have found my new home and have the address to prove it.

This is a major relief. I have a timetable for moving. I know what I need to do and when it must be ready. Most importantly, I know where I will be. Sure, I'd rather be in the new place sooner than later, but there's comfort in knowing what the next three months will bring. Seriously, it's a big burden off my shoulders, even if moving creates a lot of work for me.

Knitting content returns tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Good for you, Mark, on moving forward and establishing a timeline. I'm a worrier, too, only I've renamed it. Up here in my neighborhood I prefer to call it a "thinking problem."

Now go enjoy your weekend!

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Yay - I know that's a huge weight off your shoulders. And June 1st gives you plenty of time to pack, so that's a plus, especially since you said you have some pack-ratting issues (as do I, so I feel your pain when it comes to packing and sorting, although w/ my last move, it was PURGE PURGE PURGE).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home