Saturday, March 03, 2007

Comment clarifications

Since I don't know if anyone keeps up with the comments, this seems like the right place to follow up on some things previously written and squeeze out today's entry before I fall asleep at the computer. (Really. I feel like I could have slept all day and still need to go to bed early.)

Contrary to what I said in my February knitting progress report, the baby blanket is not in stockinette stitch. I remembered reading that you get stockinette stitch when you knit every stitch in circular knitting. What I missed is that you have to be knitting in the round to get that. The blanket is in garter stitch. I am the point where I need to begin decreasing.

I appreciate the suggestions about what to make for my mom's upcoming birthday. Can you direct me to some patterns? I could definitely use some guidance for the girly items. I've finished the first of two slippers, although I botched something with the seaming on the heel and have a loose strand sticking out. Is there anything I can do to sew it in? I'll have pictures tomorrow.

I also appreciate how supportive everyone is about my progress. Part of the reason why I'm able to focus on accomplishing these goals is that I have nowhere to go but up. You may see all those FOs, but until I made that first coffee cup cozy and dishcloth in January, I had knitted everything but one scarf in garter stitch. (The exception was the basketweave scarf.) I mixed it up a little by adding the blocks of color on two scarves, but it was basically the same thing with different materials. I stayed away from purling until I made the basketweave scarf. After that I didn't do it again until working on those other items.

I'm not bored knitting scarves, but I like learning new things and have made an effort to add to my knitting repertoire. And let's face it, some of the goals are very modest too.

4 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Here's a little purse you could do with your skills, Mark. http://www.groovy-mom.com/crafty/patterns/painlesspurse.shtml

And www.knittingpatterncentral.com has loads of patterns for everything you could ever want to knit.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Karen said...

http://yarnbox.blogspot.com/2005/07/flower-pin-free-pattern.html

Adding one more... an easy flower pin. :-)

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I tend to check lionbrand.com's patterns first because I buy their yarn often so I'll know exactly what gauge based on the yarn type. They have quite a large selection of patterns, too. If you google "booga bag pattern", you'll get a pattern for a great felted bag, knit in the round, that's very simple and really wows the crowds...I've probably made thirty of them, with one on the needles right now.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm making the Booga Bag for my sister's birthdya next month! I have the pattern and yarn, just have to cast on.

Great minds, Jennifer. I just didn't know if Secret Knitter was ready to tackle it yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home