Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Jazzy coffee cup cozy x 2

Kristin's Jazzy Coffee Cup Cozy

Yarn: Bernat Satin (100% acrylic; worsted weight)
Color: Admiral and Silk
Needles: US 7s
Stitches: 50

See how fast you can knit one of these? Unlike the one I showed you yesterday, this one has ribs or something approximating them. What a difference an even number of stitches makes. While binding off I lost a stitch because I pulled a little too hard. There was no way of getting it back, so I increased, or that's what I attempted to do, and hoped for the best. It seemed to work. The seam isn't as thick where I sewed this one together, so I'm pleased about that.

Really, though, I'm still amazed that I'm able to knit. I don't think anybody else who knows can believe it. The last time I talked to my mom she asked if I was still knitting. I don't know why she thought I might not be, but I let her know that I continue to get a lot of satisfaction from it. A couple friends who know the secret seem bored if the subject comes up, which is understandable. Their "loss" is your gain because I have to have somewhere to put my knitting talk.

This evening brought some knitting in public, the first time in awhile for me. Kristin invited me to watch her husband Paul play rec league hockey. After the screening of Letters from Iwo Jima--an austere, well-made film that's a step above Clint Eastwood's snoozer Flags of Our Fathers...but enough with the war movies, please--we made the hop, skip, and a jump to The Chiller for the game. It was fun to knit, talk, and watch the action on the ice. She finished a dishcloth, and I worked on a scarf. Good news: Paul scored a goal in the 9-2 win.

There were only two other people watching the game, and those women kept their distance from us. I doubt it had anything to do with the knitting. I can't say I paid any attention to them anyway. I didn't feel strange, but then again, I've always felt comfortable knitting with Kristin. It's the knitting in public on my own that will be the test.

3 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love both of the cup holders. I'm glad to have generated a little bit of discussion on your blog. I moved to a new country this year, the blog world keeps me current with all things knitty - knitting here is still in the hands of acrylic knitting grandmothers. Also this country is in many ways much more conservative in it's outlook, so the blogging community keeps me sane!

Happy knitting.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

the new coffee cup cozy looks good - i need to make one of those for myself, altho i've stayed away from my daily morning cup o' joe so far this year, so i guess i shouldn't encourage myself lol

my husband is also a goalie, so i spend lots of time knitting at the different ice rinks where he plays. i love going to the games cuz it's instant knitting time for me ;) i do watch, but it's easy to only look up when the play is near his crease...don't know what i'd do if he weren't the goalie and stationed at just one end of the rink lol

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Ruth, I'm glad to have you generate some discussion. I'm also glad anyone feels comfortable enough to put down a few words in response to what I write here.

Jennifer, coffee is good for you. I think I read that somewhere. :) Just don't have it on an empty stomach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home