Saturday, August 21, 2010

Road socks

Super Quick Baby Socks

Yarn: Dark Horse Yarns-Fantasy (50% nylon, 50% acrylic; worsted weight)
Colorway: 14 (French blue)
Needles: US 7 dpns
Stitches: 24

There's not been much time for knitting during this vacation, but I utilized time in the car today to finish a second baby sock shortly after we passed around Bemidji, Minnesota. Just in time too. We dropped off my brother and sister-in-law near the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport before continuing on our way, so I was able to give these baby socks to them.

The sock on the left in both pictures was the second one I made, and it's definitely an improvement over the first. I'm still having an issue with a hole on one side at the ankle, although I did a better job with that second sock at picking up the stitches. One side has a smaller hole. The other has none.

True to their name, these baby socks are quick to knit, and I may have another go at these before starting work on a pair of socks for myself. Yes, I've knit socks before, but it's been two years, I believe, and these are good practice. For instance, the first one--the sock on the right--is really my second attempt as I ripped out my first try when that ankle hole was really bothering me. I've made incremental improvements from one to the next, but I'd like to solve my recurring issues. Is there any advice you have for eliminating that hole around the ankle or, based on the photos, how I'm doing picking up stitches?

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

I have the ankle hole problem with some of my socks too. I usually pick up a stitch or two at the join and then k2tog on the next round. Then if I still have a hole I close it up when I am weaving in the ends. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home