Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fish story

I headed out for the third day on the lake and had yet to reel in my first fish. They haven't exactly been leaping out of the water, but everyone in the family had caught one except for me. Look, if I'm going to play along and fish, the least that could happen is that I catch a few. (To address a comment on another post, knitting or reading in the boat doesn't seem feasible, especially when the choppy water meant I got soaked on the way back on both days.)

The weather was a little warmer today--mid 70s in the afternoon--but still quite comfortable. Trolling and casting weren't producing any results other than snagging weeds, so we switched to bait and anchored near the far shore from our cabin. Slowly everybody on the boat started pulling in small perch. I think there was only one keeper in the bunch, if that tells you anything.

At least I was starting to get nibbles on my line. Still, I hadn't hooked anything. Come on. Finally, the bobber was yanked below the surface of the water, and I pulled up a perch estimated at four to six inches long. No, it wasn't one worth keeping, but I was glad to have ended my streak of not catching any fish.

The afternoon/early evening session was inconsequential in terms of catching fish. I had a bite or two, but that was pretty much the extent of it. No one went back out after supper because the rain and thunderstorms rolled in. Who cares, though? At least I caught one.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

Hooray for catching a fish! So sorry to hear that you got wet on the boat. That usually only happens to me if I get in the water. :) Heh as a side note, we totally got fishing poles as shower gifts from my parents. :D Guess I need to round up my tackle and hit the hoover dam or something. :)

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

yay for the fishy :) and i'm guessing the fish really measured about 1-3 inches since afterall.. you are a guy and measuring fish is supposed to be exaggerated by your kind, is it not? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home