Saturday, December 26, 2009

By design

University of Central Arkansas Dishcloth

Yarn: Lily The Original Sugar'n Cream (100% cotton; worsted weight)
Colorway: Grape
Needles: US 7s
Stitches: 40

I did not attend or work at the University of Central Arkansas, but I am friends with some who are connected to the school in those ways. Among the items in the Christmas packages I sent south to Donna and Jenn--or will be sending, in the latter's case--is this dishcloth, which I designed based on the UCA logo.

The slimness of the letters and their close proximity can make them a little difficult to make out, but some blocking--my version: stretching out the dishcloth and setting DVDs atop it overnight--improved the legibility.

Since time was running out to get this knit and mailed before Christmas, this is the first version of the design. I plan on tweaking it a little. The slender left column of the A might as well be equal in size to the right one. It may not be true to the logo, but it should look better and have symmetry. I might consider making the letters wider, but there's the chance that I won't want to fuss with it and will just leave it be.

My initial intention was to design something with the whole logo, including that paddle wheel-looking thing, but I was having enough problems with the A (and patience) that I decided that the letters would be good enough.

For those interested, I will be posting the pattern eventually. I need to make some minor alterations before it goes to publication. E-mail me if you want it now and don't mind getting version 1.0.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

You are getting to be quite the designer! This came out great, and the purple color is quite apropos. I'm just in awe of the lengths to which you go to personalize a gift -- so special!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home