Saturday, November 21, 2009

Going to market

I had to drop off some things on the southeast side of town Friday night, so I decided to meet up with some fellow knit night-ers as they visited Yarn Market in Pickerington. I didn't need any yarn or have anything in mind, but I thought maybe I'd be inspired. That's the wrong tack to take at this place.

Yarn Market is a local yarn shop in the sense that you can buy yarn there, but as the lead photo illustrates, this is primarily a warehouse that sells yarn and accessories to internet purchasers. The showroom features a sample of each kind of yarn in their inventory. Not all colorways are represented, just the different brands.

It's in here that one can try to make sense of what one might want to buy. Since I didn't have any projects in mind, nothing really jumped out at me. I kicked around the idea of getting something for a pair of socks, but I'll admit that the sheer quantity of yarn at this place overloaded my brain.

Wandering the warehouse will do that. Depending on the aisle, plastic containers are stacked up to six high (at least) and are in rows that stretch quite a ways. This is when you can dig around and find what colors the yarns come in, but trust me, unless I had a vague notion of what I was looking for, browsing is not the best plan of attack.

They don't just have yarn. Needles, hooks, books, patterns, and practically any other knitting and crochet tools are here in bulk as well.

I also saw the most expensive yarn I've ever come across. Nearly $300 a ball (and not a very big one at that)?!

Thanks to the folks at Yarn Market for staying open late for our group and letting us have the run of the place.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

Looks like an awesome place to visit. As a spinner I'd love to get my hands on some vicuna fibre, but it is well out of my price range!

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

It was a good time. So much yarn to choose from! I was pleased that I found yarn for both of my projects. At some point I still need to go back and get some more louet for another project!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home