Thursday, November 19, 2009

Connections

Apparently all I had to do was mention the iPhone to summon it. I received mine today.

It may sound like an extravagance to be given one as part of my job, and it very well may be. Nevertheless, I do think it will be help me with my work.

How? One thing I've discovered with today's college students is that reaching them by phone is about the last viable option. I'll be curious if or when the school decides to pull the plug on landlines in dorm rooms. I seem to recall a report mentioning that they weren't recouping long distance costs because the service didn't get enough use. I've called student rooms and not been able to leave messages because the voicemail boxes have never been set up. I have better success calling cell phones, but even then it's uncommon for someone to pick up.

E-mail can also be hit and miss as far as responses, especially timely ones, are concerned. I've noticed more erosion in getting e-mail replies and have heard students talk about how little they check their inboxes.

No, the way to get in touch with and be accessible to them is texting. Their phones seem to get the most use from tapped out messages, and they struggle to pull their attention from them. Texting in class and texting while participating in academic-related activities is rampant.

To be sure, the phone's web access and synced campus e-mail and calendar will be helpful too. It provides flexibility and ability to work in a way practically unimaginable when I started the job.

And yeah, it's going to be a fun toy to play with as well.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

Hooray for new toys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home