Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Don't say that

Bad news is one thing. With any luck it doesn't come often and is delivered softly. Then there are the words you hate to hear. You come across these irritants all the time.

I thought I'd add a few to that writer's list. For instance, when someone says, "No offense but...", you can be sure that what he or she is about to say will indeed offend. Along these lines is the non-apology apology, the favorite of disgraced public figures who have stuck their feet in the mouths: "If I offended anyone, I apologize." Translation: I'm not really sorry, and you shouldn't be so sensitive anyway.

In any context I don't know that "we need to talk" can ever precede anything good, especially if it's followed up with vagaries about what needs to be talked about at an undetermined later time.

What words do you hate to hear?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

"I don't mean to brag. but..."

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

"I'm sorry but..."

It's something I try hard not to say myself.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

"You've worked really hard on this project, but..." just happened today actually

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

"I'm not racist, but..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home