Friday, August 28, 2009

Grandma's letter

Last night at knit night one of the women brought some old knitting magazines and cards she'd been given. Seeing as I didn't know what to write today, I thought I'd dig out one of the old needlecraft magazines in my possession. I was thinking that I held onto it when they were cleaning out my grandmother's possessions, but now I believe it must have been something my mom gave me when they last moved.

I was going to post a couple pictures from the spring/summer 1979 issue of Good Housekeeping Needlecraft, but then I opened up Crochet from Sunset Books and found something that stopped me dead in my chair. It wasn't the ditto or xerox copies in between the pages but a handwritten letter.

Maybe it seems silly, but I wasn't sure if I should read the letter since it was addressed to my mother. Still, knowing that I had this in my possession and that it very well could have been written thirty years ago by my grandmother, how could I not read it? My heart beat faster as I began reading, not because I was finding or expecting to find something traumatic but because the chances of seeing something like this are so small.

The letter is two pages with writing on both sides, although at least one more page must have gone with it. (The letter ends without what a natural conclusion or signature.) I was confused by what I was reading and set it aside. I was trying to understand why my grandmother would be starting the correspondence mentioning how she had been worried about not getting my mom's letter until it arrived on Friday. (This letter is "dated" Sunday night.) I was becoming a little more nervous about reading this and set it aside.

Then I realized that the letter wasn't from my paternal grandmother, who lived in the same small town as my family, but my maternal grandma. She died in 1982, I think. Suddenly this letter went from being a big find to a bigger find. My mom's mom lived a couple hours away from us and died when I was in second grade, if memory serves. While I remember her, I didn't know her as well.

Obviously I had to continue reading. From clues in the letter it must have been sent in late January/early February 1979. Apparently I had been sick and missing school, which she mentions knowing that I hated. She talked about the weather. It had been snowing a lot.

She also wrote about not taking her pain pills for a week and deciding to do her laundry rather than having her sister coming over to do it. What she wrote says a lot about her and, I think, a lot about my family:
"I can't sit here in this rocker the rest of my life. So thought I would see if I could manage. I hurt afterwards but then I hurt anyway so might as well have a reason for hurting."
She wrote about crocheting little toys for us kids and that it sounded like my mom was crocheting a lot. The latter portion of the letter is her writing directions for some crochet project from a book or magazine as best as she could remember.

I imagine if I hadn't started knitting that this would have ended up in the trash. If I didn't knit, I'd have no reason to have this paperback crochet book in my possession. I think I've had this for at least a couple years and hadn't ever looked through it, thus tonight's discovery. I'm still kind of dazed by getting this glimpse of my grandmother so many years later.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

That's an awesome find. :)

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

Very cool find.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home