Saturday, August 22, 2009

Double take

Let's say you're a non-knitter but have heard how fun and trendy it is and are thinking of picking up the needles and making a scarf. It's a new hobby, so you don't have the tools and such that you'll need and aren't really sure how much it might cost to get started. How does $150 sound for a garter stitch scarf?

Other introductory knitting kits with hefty prices from this manufacturer are also available. You're buying the balls of Peruvian wool, one pair of wood needles, one pattern, one sewing needle, and patches for who knows what.

I suppose this is the ultimate in selling the appearance of luxury. Just read the description of where their yarn comes from. Doesn't exactly tell you much if you know anything about yarn, does it? If you are taking this all at face value, I suppose it sounds all right, albeit very pricey.

Offhand I'm not sure of the most I've paid for yarn to make a scarf. Maybe $30. Noro is probably among the more expensive stuff I've bought. Still, that's a long way from $150. I guess if you can afford it and don't mind, knock yourself out. Still, it seems like highway robbery to me.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Um, no. That site seems to be catering to more expensive goods. I checked out the What's New section and $150.00 for a knitting set looks like spare change compared to the 1K+ dresses and shoes.

I've met a relatively new knitter who knitted on Lantern Moon needles and was working on a scarf that was over $100 in yarn, lovely materials and her choice.

But I agree with you, no need to spend that kind of coin to get started.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home