Thursday, June 18, 2009

More postcards

Today's game wasn't pretty, but it sure looks nice in this photo, or at least after the rain delay ended and the sun came out. Otherwise this is what greeted me downtown as I walked on the bridge over the Ohio River from Newport, Kentucky to Cincinnati, Ohio.

I decided to park in Newport--$2!--and hoof it, partially because I was curious to see how far it was and partially because I didn't want to pay to park for the game and then pay again when parking in Newport, let alone getting caught in post-game traffic. (A few hours after the game I attended a promotional movie screening on the Kentucky side of the river.)

The walk was quick and easy, although I did have a few moments when I felt a little unsure about being on the bridge. (You can bet I was walking in the middle of the footpath and avoiding going against the sides.) I'd wager that the walk from the Newport parking garage was about the same distance as the walk from my preferred parking spot in Cincinnati. It's probably quicker after the game too.

A rain delay pushed back the start by 35 minutes, so I called my dad and wandered around for awhile trying to pass the time. I snapped a few photos of downtown from my vantage on the ballpark concourse.

This mess is where I-71 and I-75 converge in downtown Cincinnati.

Looking westward from the stadium. The brown building in the background is the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.

The walk back led into the second half of my day, although I essentially put the camera away by that time. My time traveling to, being in, and returning from southern Ohio/northern Kentucky lasted only 34 hours or so, but it was a nice short trip. I'll have to think of it as a primer for a longer vacation.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

Looks like a great day. Oy that mess where 71, 75 and 471 converge... good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home