Monday, June 08, 2009

On the plate update

It's six weeks after renewing my self-promise to eat better and exercise. What have I learned and relearned so far?

-I feel better. Imagine that.

I feel somewhat physically lighter (and can see the difference), but I also feel mentally lighter. This has been a busy and stressful time work-wise, but the combination of regular exercise and a healthier diet are helping me weather it a lot better.

-I'm sleeping better.

I suspect the exercise component is largely responsible for this.

-I don't crave the "bad" stuff if I don't eat it regularly and am not hungry as often.

Part of this is physical, but mental discipline is also required, if not the key. Exercising willpower is so much easier when the desire to eat junk is lessened. Plus, eating properly is usually satisfying in its own right. (That sounds so high and mighty, but trust me, it isn't meant that way.)

-I'm spending less on food.

I'm trying to eat organic food when possible. I know it costs a little more, but I'm eating out less frequently and not eating as much, both of which more than make up for the difference in price.

-If I take the mystery out of what I'll be eating for the day's meals, I'm less likely to opt for something less healthful.

In other words, planning ahead may be a pain but it works.

-Breaking bad habits and forming good ones takes time.

Repetition is such an important factor in all of this. Once the new routine is down, it feels as natural as the previous one that needed to be stopped.

-If I dedicate myself to something, I can do it.

Now keep it up.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

Sounds like you are doing an excellent job! Congrats. :)

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

You go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home