Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Interstate travel

Some observations on tonight's drive a couple hours south and just across the Ohio-Kentucky border to Newport to see St. Vincent at Southgate House...

I know there's been talk of establishing a train line linking Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati. While this evening's trip was a fairly easy drive, if a train had been an option, I would very much have considered hopping on public transportation to get there. That's assuming it would be cheaper than me driving my car, would still have been running after I got out of the concert, would be faster or at least the same time-wise, and, in this instance, would have got me across the Ohio River.

The Newport, Kentucky riverfront area has it all over the Cincinnati side. It's much more developed for those looking for a night's entertainment, save for the small fact of the stadiums on the Ohio side. There are more places to eat and things to do. It also seems like traffic gets in and out better and, dare I say, that the area feels safer.

Crossing the bridge to get to Newport, it's a bit like Kentucky has a big cane to jerk cars from I-471 to their attractions. The only way to be faster in snagging people entering the state would be to help them off of boats at the shoreline.

Even if you're going the speed limit, it feels like you're going a lot faster when there's no one else on the highway.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

I am very pro train. I really wish they would build it and make it affordable/convenient. There are so many times I would use it to go see friends in the Nati or my grandma in Cleveland. Not to mention all the knitting time to be had. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home