Friday, June 19, 2009

Hot hot heat

I was caught unaware by the blazing temperatures that greeted me in southern Ohio the last couple days. I knew what to expect today, but I still wasn't quite prepared for the heat surge. Until Wednesday I'd say we've had a pretty mild June.

I developed a sterling farmer's tan from my time at the ballpark, but in preparation for some afternoon exercise I did the proper thing and loaded up on the sunscreen. If there's a solution for keeping it out of my eyes when I sweat, I'm all for hearing it because I've not found one yet.

I was ready to put up with the stinging eyes, but I wasn't ready for the heat and humidity. Early in the walk I felt like I was having to exert harder than usual. The air I was breathing seemed thick. I slowed down and made it through the first of the two or three times around the park that I usually do.

I didn't feel up to snuff and wandered off the trail to the only drinking fountain in the park. It's one of those powerful types that splatters you in the face when you turn the knob. That didn't refresh me, but I figured it got some needed water back in my system.

I finished a second trip and decided that I ought to call it a day. My shirt and hat were drenched. Perhaps venturing outside in the 90+ temperature at the peak of the afternoon wasn't a brilliant idea.

I'll allow that I probably hadn't eaten enough yet in the day, which obviously compounded how I felt, but this was a reminder not to fool around in this kind of heat. It was sneakily hot and humid, as the spotty cloud cover provided occasional relief. Still, I could tell that the weather was affecting me. It's wiser to pay attention to that than push through it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home