Monday, May 04, 2009

Nature calls

One of the small, pleasant things with warmer temperatures has been opening the sliding door and taking a nap while the cool air trickles in and the birds sing. A tree sits close to my west balcony, so I can watch my birds and critters come and go if I choose to. I saw a bright red cardinal perched in the tree about a week ago but wasn't fast enough to get a photograph.

As I was eating dinner after work tonight I noticed that I had a visitor sitting on the balcony ledge. A squirrel was hanging out. Again I tried to snap a shot, but my movement must have spooked him. The best I could do was get a blurred picture of the squirrel scampering up the wall. While I usually have the screen door closed, this encounter was a good reminder to keep it that way unless I want to let nature inside. Which I don't want to do.

Later on I went for a walk a couple times around the park and school and in the neighborhood. I always enjoy seeing the dogs playing in yards or on walks with their owners, and if I'm lucky I may get to pet a dog or two. We had a dog for most of my youth. I've not had a pet since I've been on my own, but I like giving the dogs a friendly greeting and scratch behind the ears.

During tonight's walk I also spotted a beautiful blue bird that, I'm guessing, is an Eastern Bluebird. It looked darker than those pictured on the website, but that's the best ornithological guess I have to offer. I suppose it could have been a Western Bluebird, although its name suggests it probably wasn't.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

I see Eastern bluebirds with fair regularity around my neighborhood or campus. They are gorgeous splashes of pure color flitting and gliding very low to the ground, rising to perch in the interior branches of a tree.

My favorite wildlife sightings in my neighborhood are the large pileated woodpeckers we have. I hear them more often than I see them, but a few times a year I'll be able to follow that sound to the sight, and I always watch them as long as I can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home