Friday, May 08, 2009

At the plate

Now that the weather has improved and I can get some exercise to go along with eating better, I'm more focused on losing weight again. I tried in those winter months, but my work schedule, lack of exposure to sunlight (via an office without windows and building in which I have access to very few of them), and whatever else is handy to blame conspired to thwart my best intentions.

I'm in the second week of my plan to reintroduce better habits into my routine. So far, so good, as far as I can tell. My mom tried to convince me to follow the diet her doctor has her on--no wheat flour, no dairy, all organic (if I remember correctly)--but in my opinion it's way too unrealistic to sustain. It might be something that could be pulled off in the short term, but this is about changing habits for the long run, not a temporary period. I don't think my mom's diet is being that restrictive permanently, but whatever the case, I'm not interested.

That said, I am trying to integrate some of the ideas into my approach. I'm aware of Michael Pollan, current opinions about processed foods, and the push for organic even though the term can be used deceptively. (After all, sugar and butter can be organic.) Honestly, it can seem overwhelming. Attempting to reconcile these ideas with wanting to eat well and pleasurably can drive me insane and make it easier to abandon it all.

Of course, starting is the hardest part. I think I'm through the roughest stretch. Desire for stuff I shouldn't be eating has decreased, although I'll grant that I haven't eliminated it entirely. Then again, my thinking is that completely cutting out such things, like a morning donut or an occasional pop, isn't feasible longterm. Anyway, here's my loosely assembled plan of attack:

-Eat organic and preservative-free food as much as possible.
-Eat more fruit, especially for snacks and dessert.
-Drink water, tea, and coffee rather than drinks high in calories.
-Don't buy junk food in the first place. If it's not at home, I won't be tempted to eat it.
-Eat when I'm hungry.
-Watch portion sizes.
-Walk or run at least five days a week.
-No weighing.

Two weeks in I feel like the plan is working. I imagine I could be cutting out more and losing weight faster, but the idea is to do something I can continue rather than something that yields the most immediate results. I've done it before. The thing is that I need to stick to it over the long haul, not for six months or a year.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

I am a big fan of not bringing the junk food into the house. ;) There's a reason why you won't find Cheez-its in my house...I can eat half a box in one sitting. I also am trying to keep fresh fruit in easy to consume portions so that when I have the munchies that's what I grab. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home